RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
brewmonkey

Best option for adding SSDs to FreeNAS setup?

brewmonkey

Sorry if this seems lazy but I've hunted around looking for this info and can't seem to find a "best" approach. Would like to replace my USB boot drives with SSD(s) (mirrored would be most reliable but not too worried if have to go with single) and also another SSD for a small VM/jails. The main 4 drive bays are populated with 6TB WD Reds. I don't care where the drives physically sit - happy to stick them to any surface in the case where they'll sit snugly.

My Gen8 has no ODD. Would that be the best spot to stash 2-3 SSDs? What other hardware is required (power/data cables, adapters, etc.)? I see a single open SATA connector on the motherboard, but that won't help with adding 2-3 multiple drives. Is there a go-to HBA card that works best in the Gen8?

Thanks for any help/advice!

schoondoggy

FreeNAS seems to like LSI HBA running IT mode firmware. I like the SAS9207-4i4E as it gives you a connection for four internal and four external drives. You could run the four drives in the front bays from the LSI. Buy a break out cable and run your SSDs from the internal SATA controller. Keep in mind the first two SATA ports on the motherboard are SATA 6Gb/s the other two and the ODD SATA port are SATA 3Gb/s.

• Like 1

brewmonkey

Thanks for all that! Is there a straightforward approach to adapting power for 2-3 SSDs? I've seen adapters for one but not sure how to power multiple. For that matter, where would I get power to the front bays if I switched those to the LSI? Or is there just a strait SAS cable that would go from the LSI to the backplane? I'm probably missing something/everything...sorry for all the noobish questions. :/

schoondoggy

There is a molex power union located between the ODD bay and the front drive bays. That is where most people add a Y connector and branch off SATA power. You could use the FDD power connector in the ODD bay for power as well. Moving the SAS cable from the system board to the LSI will not affect the power. I am out of SDM brackets, but if you look at some of those post you will get cabling ideas.

• Like 1

brewmonkey

Thanks a million. That info is super helpful. I'm sad I missed the party on your awesome brackets but like you said all those posts will help sort out the cabling. Awesome...thanks again!