RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
g725s

RAID 5

g725s
21 minutes ago, schoondoggy said:

You should be able to swap the motherboard with either BIOS, it does not effect the P410.

You could also put the P410 and drives in different HPE server.

I looked on eBay and no stellar deals on a used N40L.  Do you also think with the pop-ups I get , that the card is not recognizing that it's likely the card or MB?

Or like you say.  Another server.  Just that I don't know anyone with one not being used.  It has to be HPE?

Would it matter what windows OS is used?  I wouldn't think so since my WHS2011 is on it's own drive

Edited by g725s

schoondoggy

Windows version is not critical. It should be an HPE server. Hard to tell on failure, but I would think it is the P410.

• Thanks 1

g725s
On 12/4/2019 at 3:12 PM, schoondoggy said:

You likely used the HPE ACU utility to configure the RAID array from WHS2011. The SSA replaced ACU. There is a bootable version of the SSA that lets you manage HPE RAID controllers prior to booting the OS. It wont help you get the data off the disks, but it would give you information about the RAID controller and the status of the arrays.

Try installing the driver, that should take care of the issue.

I believe this is the latest version of the offline SSA:

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_40057c5bb50b4197af4afdf478 

Yeah I did that already and got the screen I posted previously that it doesn't see the device, even after pulling all apart and putting back together seeing if a reseat of the parts would help.  That is why I ordered a used P410 off eBay.  I figured for under $7 it was worth a try.

No controller detected from the SSA...

and still the same when Installing driver(s) the one you link and the one that was installed, same as below, no change...

Edited by g725s

g725s
5 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

You should be able to swap the motherboard with either BIOS, it does not effect the P410.

You could also put the P410 and drives in different HPE server.

Also wondering if WHS 2011 could be corrupted as to not see the controller.  If I should maybe try installing it again to see if that fixes it not seeing the controller.

At this point I’m on hold till the used P410 arrives from the eBay seller,  and at that time I’m  also going to install the custom battery pack I put together but never used.  Did you ever use that one I linked to above, in that thread here?

Thanks  for your help with this.  You are much more on top of all this stuff than I am.  But I’m learning again with your help.

Edited by g725s

g725s
On 12/9/2019 at 2:03 PM, schoondoggy said:

Windows version is not critical. It should be an HPE server. Hard to tell on failure, but I would think it is the P410.

do you think at this point if I reinstalled WHS 2011 that it might be worth a try.  Can I still get auto updates?

schoondoggy

Not sure if you could patch WHS2011.

If the offline SSA could not find the P410, the P410 is likely bad.

• Thanks 1

g725s
13 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

Not sure if you could patch WHS2011.

If the offline SSA could not find the P410, the P410 is likely bad.

Did you ever use the battery pack you made?

schoondoggy

Yes, they worked fine.

g725s
5 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

Yes, they worked fine.

Okay, great.  Good to know about the battery pack you made up. Mine was similar but it was a case that I could install recharable batteries. 

The p410 I ordered off eBay for $7 is on the way from Florida to California so should get it in a few days.  I will install the battery pack I made up when I install this other P410 that I get.  I'm on hold till then at this point.  

Just in case it might be the PCI slot that I mentioned is super loose I've been looking on eBay and it seems the typical price for a used N40L is around $70 to $90 but shipping brings that up alot more.  I did see one relatively local CL ad for about that price but the seller never got back to me and now the listing is no longer.  I might be willing to spend that but it would be a waste if the data on the drives is corrupt from a bad p410.  

schoondoggy
1 hour ago, g725s said:

Okay, great.  Good to know about the battery pack you made up. Mine was similar but it was a case that I could install recharable batteries. 

The p410 I ordered off eBay for $7 is on the way from Florida to California so should get it in a few days.  I will install the battery pack I made up when I install this other P410 that I get.  I'm on hold till then at this point.  

Just in case it might be the PCI slot that I mentioned is super loose I've been looking on eBay and it seems the typical price for a used N40L is around $70 to $90 but shipping brings that up alot more.  I did see one relatively local CL ad for about that price but the seller never got back to me and now the listing is no longer.  I might be willing to spend that but it would be a waste if the data on the drives is corrupt from a bad p410.  

What part of California are you in?