RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
g725s

RAID 5

g725s

Concerning the HP server in my signature...

I did a Windows update a few years ago and it made my RAID 5 array not show up in the OS.  I used HP program for the 410 card to setup the array in the beginning.

I tried back when all this happened to figure it out on my own for a few days.  But I ended up just putting the server on a shelf in my garage.

All I really want is to get all the files(mostly some family photos that I didn't have backed up).  I don't care about getting the server going again, as it was, as really the WHS 2011 is outdated and I now use a couple of Qnap NAS to store my files.

I can see the RAID drive in Disc Management.  But I cannot access the drive from within the OS so I cannot transfer the files off of the drives.

With a RAID 5, Could I remove the drives individually and access the files?  What would be my best route to get the files off the drives?

"HP N40L, WHS 2011, BIOS-Mods BIOS, 8gb ECC, 250gb OS drive on the now 3gbps ODD motherboard connection(Thanks to BIOS-Mods),  HP P410 Smart Array Controller w/512gb BBWC,  Four HGST 4tb Deskstar 5400rpm Coolspin drives in RAID 5, 10.9TB."

Edited by g725s

schoondoggy

When you see the RAID drive in disk management is there a drive letter assigned to it? If not, you may need to assign a drive. What error do you get when you try to access the volume?

With RAID5 your data is striped across all drives. You can not read the one by one, in a different system.

g725s
8 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

When you see the RAID drive in disk management is there a drive letter assigned to it? If not, you may need to assign a drive. What error do you get when you try to access the volume?

With RAID5 your data is striped across all drives. You can not read the one by one, in a different system.

Hello schoondoggy,

I will check.  I need to hook the server up and check.  But I believe that there is a drive letter, almost positive, and it is the same letter as I originally set it to.  That it just doesn't show up in the OS.

If this were the case, how would I assign it again within WHS 2011?

Edited by g725s

schoondoggy

When you get the server running, open Disk Manager and take a screen shot and post here.

You mentioned this issue occurred after a Windows update, it could be a driver issue.

If there is a drive letter assigned and you cant access the drive, what error message are you seeing?

g725s
13 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

When you get the server running, open Disk Manager and take a screen shot and post here.

You mentioned this issue occurred after a Windows update, it could be a driver issue.

If there is a drive letter assigned and you cant access the drive, what error message are you seeing?

schoondoggy

i think you are right.  I see in Device Manager that it says the driver is not installed code 28.  So I tried installing the original driver and it says device not found.

Also when I turned the server on it did an update of some sort.  But now I don’t even see the array in device manager 😒

022D06C7-0BB7-4AF3-A00F-60960ACD00D4.jpeg

A71CA8B5-A75B-47B1-BE1F-D5306635F2E1.jpeg

D8508170-A5D1-487B-A702-92E525FDD358.jpeg

Edited by g725s

g725s

I will try it when I get home from work.

But if all fails, I am wondering how easy it is to recover files with the drives pulled out of this HP configuration.  Is it this easy...

Edited by g725s

schoondoggy

It is not easy to recover RAID sets. Companies like the one in the video, charge to attempt recover.

The driver should take care of the issue.

You can also boot the server with the HPE offline SSA tool and access the P410 to confirm the RAID 5 array is still OK.

g725s
20 minutes ago, schoondoggy said:

It is not easy to recover RAID sets. Companies like the one in the video, charge to attempt recover.

The driver should take care of the issue.

You can also boot the server with the HPE offline SSA tool and access the P410 to confirm the RAID 5 array is still OK.

I'm not familiar with your second option. I will look into it tonight.  And also try the Driver you linked above

I talked to a computer repair guy and he said also the driver.  But if that fails that probably the next best thing would be to find another working server with a known working P410 and I could put the drives in there.  I'm being told data extraction is very expensive, that they charge more than Lawyers by a long shot.

Do you know a link to the tool you mentioned.  Is that the same tool I used to set up the drives?  Wouldn't I need the driver to make it work?

Edited by g725s

schoondoggy

You likely used the HPE ACU utility to configure the RAID array from WHS2011. The SSA replaced ACU. There is a bootable version of the SSA that lets you manage HPE RAID controllers prior to booting the OS. It wont help you get the data off the disks, but it would give you information about the RAID controller and the status of the arrays.

Try installing the driver, that should take care of the issue.

I believe this is the latest version of the offline SSA:

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_40057c5bb50b4197af4afdf478