RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Intel Driver causing BSOD 0x116

Andne

Ok, since these boards are so popular, someone here has to have seen this issue, right?

I recently built a computer to use as a media center using a gigabyte H55M-UD2H, Core i3-540, 4GB RAM, Lite-On Blu-ray drive, and a 1GB WD Green drive that I have. I can install windows 7 64-bit on it, and it runs fine untill I try to load drivers. Installing the Intel HD Graphics driver just crashes it. The driver will install, say I need a reboot, and then on the next boot, I get a corrupted display with the cursor for a bit, before getting a Blue Screen telling me that trying to reset the graphics driver caused a timeout. The stop code is 0x00000116 (apparently that means the graphics driver timed out), and there is a reference to igdkmd64.sys. I have tried the latest driver from Gigabyte's site (4/2010), Windows Update (10/2010), and Intel (12/2010), all have had the same effect. I have been able to put windows into safe mode and uninstall the graphics drivers there so I can go back into normal mode, but without that driver, the computer's usefulness as a media center is pretty much non-existant.

Anyone have any ideas of other things that I can try?

Ok, since these boards are so popular, someone here has to have seen this issue, right?

I recently built a computer to use as a media center using a gigabyte H55M-UD2H, Core i3-540, 4GB RAM, Lite-On Blu-ray drive, and a 1GB WD Green drive that I have. I can install windows 7 64-bit on it, and it runs fine untill I try to load drivers. Installing the Intel HD Graphics driver just crashes it. The driver will install, say I need a reboot, and then on the next boot, I get a corrupted display with the cursor for a bit, before getting a Blue Screen telling me that trying to reset the graphics driver caused a timeout. The stop code is 0x00000116 (apparently that means the graphics driver timed out), and there is a reference to igdkmd64.sys. I have tried the latest driver from Gigabyte's site (4/2010), Windows Update (10/2010), and Intel (12/2010), all have had the same effect. I have been able to put windows into safe mode and uninstall the graphics drivers there so I can go back into normal mode, but without that driver, the computer's usefulness as a media center is pretty much non-existant.

Never had a driver problem but blue screening when installing drivers smells like a power supply. This has happen to me a couple of times due to weak CPU rails on the PS. When the drivers load, and activate all the devices, you blue screen or reboot. Do you by any chance have a Thermaltake PS? If not what do you have. Also, go into your BIOS and check the temps. Also saw this when CPU fan not seated correctly and CPU temps climb and thermally throttle the CPU.

Never had a driver problem but blue screening when installing drivers smells like a power supply. This has happen to me a couple of times due to weak CPU rails on the PS. When the drivers load, and activate all the devices, you blue screen or reboot. Do you by any chance have a Thermaltake PS? If not what do you have. Also, go into your BIOS and check the temps. Also saw this when CPU fan not seated correctly and CPU temps climb and thermally throttle the CPU.

The blue screen doesn't occur until after I reboot after installing the driver. My power supply is an Antec Earthwatts 380W. The only devices I have connected are the board, the hard drive, and the Blu-Ray drive. The case also has two 60mm fans (Lian-Li PC-C37), one is connected to the board, the other draws power straight from the PSU. I did check the temps once, looked to be around 35C on the chip, but that was after I had some issues with a hard drive, so it could have cooled off some (after installing windows, the HDD I originally installed didn't want to be detected anymore)

The PC-C37 is a nice case, but it tends to get a bit cramped. After getting everything in the case, I started to wish that I had used that Corsair PSU that people seemed to like (the modular one), but I've been happy with Antec, so that's what I bought.

Try testing the memory in addition to the PSU. Very often, memory errors present themselves in all kinds of ways. I'd also consider installing the latest chipset drivers before the display.

The blue screen doesn't occur until after I reboot after installing the driver. My power supply is an Antec Earthwatts 380W. The only devices I have connected are the board, the hard drive, and the Blu-Ray drive. The case also has two 60mm fans (Lian-Li PC-C37), one is connected to the board, the other draws power straight from the PSU. I did check the temps once, looked to be around 35C on the chip, but that was after I had some issues with a hard drive, so it could have cooled off some (after installing windows, the HDD I originally installed didn't want to be detected anymore)

The PC-C37 is a nice case, but it tends to get a bit cramped. After getting everything in the case, I started to wish that I had used that Corsair PSU that people seemed to like (the modular one), but I've been happy with Antec, so that's what I bought.

If you have access to another supply or can borrow one from the store, try that. It is not the wattage but rather the 12v rail. I know from experience that and as mrossco stated the memory are to two biggest issues. For me I have more issue with PS than with memory.

If you have access to another supply or can borrow one from the store, try that. It is not the wattage but rather the 12v rail. I know from experience that and as mrossco stated the memory are to two biggest issues. For me I have more issue with PS than with memory.

I'll see what I can do to test those two things (don't have any spares of either currently), but what I'm seeing so far points me at something else. I can install updates, looks like I can do whatever I want, and the computer will still work fine. Once I install the intel driver, it won't boot normally. I can boot into safe mode and remove the intel driver, and the computer will boot back into normal mode just fine. I suppose I could go play with BIOS settings a bit, maybe there's something there.

Also - I originally built this computer without the Blu-ray drive shortly after thanksgiving, and it worked for a while, but then got stuck in a reboot loop after a couple weeks. I left it alone because I didn't feel like messing with it at the time. Earlier this week, I finally got around to buying a Blu-ray drive for it, and now haven't been able to get it up and running completely yet. I don't know if that points to anything else that I should look at or not. I never did dig into the last set of issues, just formatted the drive and started over. I did have some trouble with the board not recognizing the drive I was using then shortly after adding the Blu-ray drive, but that problem was solved by dropping in a different hard drive that I had around. I did try removing the Blu-ray drive from the computer (unplug data and power) thinking that maybe the PSU couldn't keep up with that new load, but that didn't help any.

Hmmmm, I know it sounds dumb, but I would double and triple check that the driver is the correct ones. Did you get the driver from Intel or Gigabyte? I would use the Gigabyte one first and Intel's if the Gigabyte doesn't work.

So I've managed to make some progress with this. I got the computer to boot with the graphics driver loaded if I install the chipset INF update first. However, while the desktop works fine, trying to run media center does not - the graphics driver starts to hang up and gets reset by windows. The screen keeps blanking and coming back when this happens. If I close media center quickly enough, then I can keep the computer from crashing, once the desktop comes up again, the driver quits reseting. I have also tried this using a 32-bit install instead of the 64-bit install that I was doing, but that doesn't seem to help any, I still have the same behavior. Guess it's time to see if I can borrow a PSU out of another computer that has a little more juice to it, try and eliminate that as the cause.

I found the problem, or at least it appears that I have (watching Star Trek in 1080p for a while now, no issues). There is some incompatibility between virtualization and the intel graphics driver. I turned off the virtualization extensions in the BIOS, and now I can run high-end graphics without any issues. Apparently this is the desktop version of this issue:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowsserver2008r2virtualization/thread/155df520-016f-4866-8bb4-1fd526cd6542