RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Rodf

How do I remote to my desktop at home?

Rodf

I've got a Windows 10 Professional desktop at home. I've decided to install Microsoft's Remote Desktop app for Android on my phone. I'm sure there are ways for me to remote to my desktop, both when I'm home and on my network, as well as when I'm away from home coming through my Synology router. Only I don't know how to do either.

JackoUK

Working backwards somewhat to connect from outside:

1. The W10 desktop must be set to 'allow Remote Access' … and to a specific user account.

2.  Your router's firewall will block unsolicited incoming traffic, so add a new 'port forwarding' rule to send traffic for port 3389 (the Windows convention is port 3389 = remote desktop) to the W10 desktop's LAN IP address.

3.  Install the Remote Desktop app on your phone.

4. Fire up the app and connect to the allocated W10 user account - you'll be asked for the password.

Expanded description at, for instance, https://lifehacker.com/use-your-computer-from-anywhere-a-guide-to-remote-cont-5902654

Not sure how Synology handles this … rtfm 😉

For bonus points you might need to use a dynamic DNS service (I use NoIP) and it would be more secure to find out how you can make Windows use a port other than 3389 for remote traffic. It would also be good policy if the account nominated or remote access had only user privileges and not administrator rights!

Edited by JackoUK
  • Like 1

oj88

My approach was to setup OpenVPN on my home firewall (Untangle) so I can connect from anywhere in the world and RDS into my PCs and servers, telnet into equipment, or access the web management pages of my UniFi APs, UPSs, and others.

I bought an inexpensive domain name from namecheap and use the firewall's built-in mechanism to update the IP address.

ShadowPeo

Use a VPN if possible, there are quite a few vulnerabilities in the RDP stack so we have closed it for clients unless they specifically sign a waiver 

• Like 1