RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Overheating Problems

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I have an i7 920 with 12 GB RAM that has been running for 13 months now. I had a IO exception this morning so I took the sides off to reseat the SATA connection. I powered the computer up and went to work. When I got home the temperature reading on my ULTRA CPU cooler showed 190 F and was beeping very loudly. I cooled it off, down to 100 F, with a regular fan I had and put the sides back on the case. It immediately started heating up again once the sides were put back on. I had to pull the sides and use my fan again.

The computer was at idle during all of this. The fans in the case are still working. How do I troubleshoot this? What would cause this type of behavior?

Doesn't look like I can delete the post so an update instead. I found the problem. The fan on the backside of my cpu cooler was stuck. Once I spun it up everything was fine. Looks like I need a replacement.

What types of coolers do you guys recommend?

I have an i7 920 with 12 GB RAM that has been running for 13 months now. I had a IO exception this morning so I took the sides off to reseat the SATA connection. I powered the computer up and went to work. When I got home the temperature reading on my ULTRA CPU cooler showed 190 F and was beeping very loudly. I cooled it off, down to 100 F, with a regular fan I had and put the sides back on the case. It immediately started heating up again once the sides were put back on. I had to pull the sides and use my fan again.

The computer was at idle during all of this. The fans in the case are still working. How do I troubleshoot this? What would cause this type of behavior?

At first glance it sounds like your Ultra cooler has gone bad. Have you checked it?

At first glance it sounds like your Ultra cooler has gone bad. Have you checked it?

That was the culprit. Discovered the fan on it was stuck.

Good to hear. I've had that happen too, most often with GPU fans. I agree with the idea of replacing the cooler; don't want your cpu dying. :)

Edited by ikon