RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Trig0r

2019 Essentials

Trig0r

Anyone here managed to get 2019 installed with the Essentials Dash etc as per 2016?

I got bored again and decided to put 2019 on my server, its bare install at the mo with no features, but know that the bits in Essentials 2016 are missing from 2019, I've seen a few posts on the web about adding the bits needed, just wondering if anyone here has tried it..

oj88

Interesting. Subscribing to this. Care to share where this so-called tweak can be found?

Though, I'm still a bit reluctant to shoehorn something that isn't natively supported. Knowing Microsoft, these things tend to get broken after an update or two.

On a side note, my WHS2011 client backup is now useless. Throughout the last several months to a year, as my Windows 10 clients got updated, the WHS Connector agent stopped connecting to the server. So this is my premise for wanting the Essentials Dashboard of Server 2016 but run it on the latest Windows Server OS (2019).

Trig0r

https://www.theofficemaven.com/news/windows-server-2019-essentials

I've not bothered installing anything as of yet, straight up 2019 install and added Hyper-V, Drivepool and Scanner.

Works for now, kids both have MS accounts so their stuff is being backed up via OneDrive, might setup Veeam for backing up the actual machines, not sure yet..

oj88

I wonder if you'll lose the Essentials dashboard, client backup, et al. if you do an in-place upgrade from 2016 to 2019?

Anyway, plan A is to go with 2016 + Essentials Role or go with plan B, which is to install 2019 with UrBackup.

Trig0r

Pretty sure someone on here did that, have a quick search.

nrf

really guys, microsoft is telling us we should be moving to the cloud. or something...

I for one think unraid, owncloud, etc. are interesting places to be looking ahead to.

I'm seeing that windows is taking up too much of my attention and providing too much frustration versus some open source alternatives.

Trig0r

I'm not paying to put 20Tb of data and 4VM's in the cloud :D

nrf

but they want you to rather than run a home server.

oj88
1 hour ago, nrf said:

really guys, microsoft is telling us we should be moving to the cloud. or something...

I for one think unraid, owncloud, etc. are interesting places to be looking ahead to.

I'm seeing that windows is taking up too much of my attention and providing too much frustration versus some open source alternatives.

I can see that happening for the great majority of casual users, not to mention corporate users as well. But for the enthusiasts in some of us, we still want our multi-TB of data on-prem. This server is also my Plex server and I need all the horsepower of a physical machine (with a physical GPU) for all the hardware transcoding and such I’ll ever need. How much more would all these cost if I run them on Azure or AWS?

Edited by oj88

nrf

right. so we just can't rely on microsoft since they don't really support us anymore. I heard really good things on some podcasts recently about unraid and owncloud. Also I am playing with a free backup solution I heard about here that will take over before server 2016 goes off support.