RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 121, UR2 and the Vail Issue

Dave

This show was intended to cover UR2 in it's entirety and soon spiraled into a conversation about Vail. Maybe even spiraled out of control! I stated some things in this episode that should serve as an eye opener. You may agree or disagree with some of my comments. It has been pointed out to me that I might not have got the end message out loudly enough. That message is this: If we as a community don't get behind and support Vail when it's released we may be in trouble of losing it as a product. Having said that be it known that this site and podcast will always support WHS Version 1. It is why we are here. I shouldn't forget that and I hope you won't. That's one of the reasons behind launching WHS 101.

When Drive Extender was axed you asked for truthful and honest opinions and not a lot of MVP spin. You certainly got them in this show. I may be totally off the mark on my prediction on Vail but it all comes back to my statement above. If nobody is buying Vail what will happen to it? Also remember, I said those comments as a user of the product. It doesn't mean that I know something that you don't and am trying to get extra exposure.

We have started to cover alternative products such as the Drobo and Synology solutions. I know some of you might not like that kind of coverage but I think this kind of information will help all of us find better ways for data protection in a Vail product that doesn't include Drive Extender. We will not turn into a NAS only type podcast. We are simply exploring what else is out there. I personally find it fun and informative.

So let me know what you think. Hey, we also had some fun on this show too! It's nice to have a couple of out-takes again. Thanks Jim!

*Edit* I forgot to add a thank you on this. It amazes me how quickly some of you guys listen to the show after it's published. I get several e-mails right after every show is published. Still amazes me. Thank you for listening. I also appreciate your feedback. The good and the bad.

Edited by HSS-Dave
almost forgot a thank you

I got it out earlier than most this time too.

<---Sitting back and waiting for the comments to roll in like I always do after publishing.

Can I send you the bill for my therapist? :) Seriously, I think unless MS finds a way to integrate WHS with something like the X-Box it could die except for the enthusiast community. I have an SBS 2008 server running and I love it but WHS is just so darn easy. It's like Ron Popel says, "set it and forget it".

Didn't we say that about Media Center way back when? I think it's now stronger than it's ever been and they still don't show it any love. I agree on the set it and forget it comment but who is to say that WHS doesn't re surge with a version after Vail?

WHS v1, IMO, is the best local PC backup solution out there. The problem is that other than people like us here on the forum, the average computer user only thinks about backing things up AFTER it is too late. Even then, they fail to make the necessary changes. One solution that may work for these folks, is THE CLOUD. For me, that is the offsite solution and I still want an onsite solution.

Over the past couple of years, I have tried to get people to buy a WHS. In two cases now, I got them to go to Best Buy for the purpose of picking one up. While I wasn't there with them, they were well briefed and well aware of the cost. In both cases, one of them being my parents, they came home with some USB external drive. My Dad even said something like "this thing is even better than what you wanted me to get. It has continuous backup and cost less". When I went down to their house after Christmas, I re-purposed one of his old Dell machines (I HATE Dell now) into a WHSv1 and attached his "fancy" USB drive as additional storage. B)

This is what we are up against. Most people on these forums and people like us, will find a solution, which may very well be WHSv2. But unless MS ups the marketing of v2 or comes up with some slick hardware or cool feature, v2 will most likely die off.

Great show guys, even though I felt a little depressed after words. Like everyone on the show today, I have a shiny piece of 64 bit hardware hanging on the wall just waiting for the next version of Vail... the waiting is agonizing. To put it another way, since the first Beta of Vail was released, I have gotten engaged, bought my first house, gotten married, and went on the honeymoon. Yep it's frustrating sometimes that Microsoft seems to move slower than the rest of the world, but great news, what cheered me up was Synology and their Disc Station products! I did a little research on it after the show and all I can say is WOW!!! It does things that I wish WHS did and it seems to play nice with Apple and Android as well. I only wish I could stream survaliance camera feeds through my WHS into my iPod like Synology can. Like you said Dave, the only thing that is missing is Bare Metal backups, but other than that it looks like a polished and Un-neglected product. Best of all it appears to be simple! I'm defiantly looking forward to Dave's review of the disc station!!!

jvk

Oh damn, look what I've started. I didn't mean to kill off Vail for you guys! I'll give it a fair shake but I think DE is so big that MS may have underestimated it's importance for the home user. That may push Vail as the entry level server for small business and an enthusiast box.

Over the past couple of years, I have tried to get people to buy a WHS. In two cases now, I got them to go to Best Buy for the purpose of picking one up. While I wasn't there with them, they were well briefed and well aware of the cost. In both cases, one of them being my parents, they came home with some USB external drive. My Dad even said something like "this thing is even better than what you wanted me to get. It has continuous backup and cost less". When I went down to their house after Christmas, I re-purposed one of his old Dell machines (I HATE Dell now) into a WHSv1 and attached his "fancy" USB drive as additional storage.

This is what we are up against.

That's a sad story. If they were on commission it wouldn't have gone down that way!

No, you didn't do it for me Dave, I have been thinking this for a while now. I really hope Vail will make it because like I mentioned, it is the best PC backup solution out there. I just fear Aurora will be the small business server and Vail will be the consumer edition. If sales are not there on the consumer side, MS may just kill it off and tell people like us to move over to Aurora. Of course I may move to Aurora for my PC backup regardless of what happens to Vail. Hopefully we will have a new Vail (and Aurora??) beta any day now and some of our questions will begin to get answered.

That's a sad story. If they were on commission it wouldn't have gone down that way!

It is a sad story. Maybe I just suck as a salesmen, which is why I am an accountant, but I have not convinced anyone to buy a WHS yet. I have tried over and over again with people in the office, including our IT staff and I think all they hear once I start talking is Charlie Brown's mom speaking.

Great show guys, even though I felt a little depressed after words. Like everyone on the show today, I have a shiny piece of 64 bit hardware hanging on the wall just waiting for the next version of Vail... the waiting is agonizing. To put it another way, since the first Beta of Vail was released, I have gotten engaged, bought my first house, gotten married, and went on the honeymoon. Yep it's frustrating sometimes that Microsoft seems to move slower than the rest of the world, but great news, what cheered me up was Synology and their Disc Station products! I did a little research on it after the show and all I can say is WOW!!! It does things that I wish WHS did and it seems to play nice with Apple and Android as well. I only wish I could stream survaliance camera feeds through my WHS into my iPod like Synology can. Like you said Dave, the only thing that is missing is Bare Metal backups, but other than that it looks like a polished and Un-neglected product. Best of all it appears to be simple! I'm defiantly looking forward to Dave's review of the disc station!!!

jvk

Crap...didn't really mean for it to go there! Sorry to depress you! :)