RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
JSYShaggy

P420 installed and Fan now noisy

JSYShaggy

Hi,

I've done quite a few searches but can't find anything that seems relevant.

I have a Gen8 Microserver running Server 2016, 16Gb Ram, 2x2TB WD Red and 1xSeagate 1TB in Raid 5 (I plan on upgrading this to another 2TB WD Red). I also have a 320Gb Hitachi SSD plugged into the onboard sata port.

I wasn't getting the speeds I wanted for transfers from my laptop so I've upgraded the network to a Nighthawk AC1900, the cables to 6a and will soon be upgrading the Wifi card on my laptop to be AC.

As the transfer rates were slower than expected on the system itself between the drives I thought I'd install a P420 raid card with a 1Gb cache module and since I did that the fan has become noisy. Playing with the power settings I have it set to HP power profile and balanced but have tried others. Fan speed is currently sitting at 34%.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Thanks in advance!

vgoncalves

Probably because the temperature of your P420 card, what temperature the ilo reports at the pci express slot?

There are a few threads about it...

JSYShaggy

Temperature is running at 82-85C which I've read is normal.

Could it have anything to do with the B120i not being able to get the temp from the SSD? I can't find any info about the HDD online and don't even remember where it came from if I'm honest.Any way of seeing if it has a temp sensor?

JSYShaggy

Ok I've butchered something in - placed an old 40mm CPU fan near to the P420 heatsink powered by the spare berg connector on the top. Tempearture of the P420 has reduced to 77 degrees and the 120mm fan has reduced to 11%. If this stays at this temp/speed I will permanently fit it but am I ok fitting a fan (either this or another 120mm) to the removable side case and drilling holes?

vgoncalves

Check this video from another member and get some ideas how to do it:

JSYShaggy

cool cheers. So it doesnt look lik I need to drill :)