RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

laptop restore woes

kermi

So, i was doing some restore-testing, prior to upgrading my win7 to 64-bit.

I ran into a snag, where boot from the restore cd didn't recognize my NIC. Works with my WLAN nic, but using that would make a restore take forever, and force me to turn off security on my wifi. Apparently, i have the wrong drivers for my wired-NIC, even though the same drivers work just fine for windows.

So.. has anyone got any clue what drivers am i supposed to user for Marvel Yukon 88E8072 chip for it to be detected by the restore-enviroment?

If you have another machine, the easiest way is to remove the drive from your laptop and connect it to the other machine via USB and do the restore there. Then go to C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server and select ClientRestoreWizard.exe to begin. That is the only way I do it anymore because it eliminates all driver issues.

Yea, i have another machine, I don't have external usb-enclosure though. Nor do I really want to go dismantling my PCs just to test if i can do a restore..

So, i was doing some restore-testing, prior to upgrading my win7 to 64-bit.

I ran into a snag, where boot from the restore cd didn't recognize my NIC. Works with my WLAN nic, but using that would make a restore take forever, and force me to turn off security on my wifi. Apparently, i have the wrong drivers for my wired-NIC, even though the same drivers work just fine for windows.

So.. has anyone got any clue what drivers am i supposed to user for Marvel Yukon 88E8072 chip for it to be detected by the restore-enviroment?

Have you tried getting them from the motherboard manufacturer's site? Remember you need to Win2k3 drivers (although the XP 32-bit should usually work). The good news is that you can throw them on a USB stick and try it right away without having to restart the restore wizard.

If the drive is S.A.T.A. you may not need a usb enclosure......

If you have a desktop with S.A.T.A. just hook the drive to a spare S.A.T.A.port in the desktop... removal of the drive from the laptop is usually easy and the drive can sit anywhere while in the desk top.

I usually just restore the C: drive and replace the hard disc knowing that I can restore everything else on other partitions from there.

If all else fails or you really don't want to remove the drive from the laptop then reinstall whichever version of widows from your restore discs and the connector software.

Then use the server to restore your transitory data and/or other partitions.

The main directory is the "users" directory, providing you restore this in the worst case scenario you will have to reinstall your apps but usually your setting will be maintained.

Had to do this recently and didn't have any problems restoring Itunes complete with 100+gb of data and my Office 2010 prefs.

What I usually do with any system hard drive is build multiple partitions but the C: drive is always exclusively windows only. All apps are installed to other drives.

I hope this helps.

Another thought strikes: The guys were talking about sites that allow you to download just about every nic driver for use on a usb. Try finding one of those sites. I think they said they'd publish the links but I haven't seen them so try messaging them.

You don't sat what make of laptop it is. Until recently I had a HP. It always seemed to switch off the nic when the restore disc was used which is how I adapted to these workarounds.