RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS V1 Latest Update Issues

Racer

The latest upgrade was sent to my WHS (EX-470) and according to the resource window now reads Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.3436.0. The problem that I am having is the the icon in the tray is red and states that an upgrades is available. I try to proceed with the connector upgrade and I a message that you have to be an administrator on the computer to upgrade. I am the administrator of this computer and the only user. I have checked all settings and turned off UAC. I can run the current connector with no problems. Clicking on the upgrade and I get an error "The operation cannot be completed at this time. Please try again later. If the problem persist please contact Product support." Any ideas of what is going on and better yet what is the fix.

I get the same error message on an old XP box and my 64 bit lap top running Windows 7 Home.

I hope I do not have to install the connector software again and it has been oh sooooooo long ago I have no idea as to the steps in doing that off the server and all the differences since this is a 64 bit machine running Windows 7 Pro.

Why am I always the lucky one except when it comes to the lottery?

I'll try and find a link to where I read this, but I recall that some folks had to uninstall the connector, REBOOT, then install the new one.

UPDATE: Note that on a couple of my computers, the Connector software install was in a very bad state so I had to uninstall the Windows Home Server Connector and reboot the machines. If you don’t uninstall and reboot, the installation will fail with a message “Unable to install the Connector Service. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system services.”

http://www.wintellect.com/CS/blogs/jrobbins/archive/2011/01/26/using-home-server-be-careful-with-the-whs-v1-update-release-2-kb981089.aspx

First of all thanks for the replies and to start things off with I decided to first try the lap top as it is a secondary machine. I went to the control panel and deleted the Windows Home Server Connector. Next I tried the "http://server:55000/ as suggested by dvn and I now get a HTTP error 401.3 error stating that I do not have permission to view this directory or page due to the access control list (ACL) that is configured for this resource on the Web server. I have rebooted both the lap top a number of times and also the WHS. Same error.

At least I still can connect to the WHS via the desktop even and now try to figure out what the error message is all about and how to correct it. I am getting too old for this.

...I went to the control panel and deleted the Windows Home Server Connector. Next I tried the "http://server:55000/ as suggested by dvn and I now get a HTTP error 401.3 error stating that I do not have permission to view this directory or page due to the access control list (ACL) that is configured for this resource on the Web server. I have rebooted both the lap top a number of times and also the WHS. Same error.

This is strange because any PC on the network should normally be able to navigate to "http://server:55000/". I'm sorry, but I don't have a fix for the ACL situation. Can you still navigate to your shares from Windows Explorer? Because I'm thinking that you may have to perform a recovery install and you might want to manually pull files from your server if you have some spare disk space on another machine. I'll let the other guys weigh in to see what they think.

Problem here too, but different:

Pre-UR2, all was well. After UR2, the connector (on 3 Win 7 32 machines) can't connect to the Home Server. EDIT: The console won't appear...if backups occur (they are) it is connected somehow...but no console. (This computer can not connect to your home server)...but, it is green, it can run a back up manually, it is running scheduled back ups, I can get to WHS via the browser (edit II: everything works on the web page, except trying to open the console), and the shortcut to the shares is fine. I have tried rebooting everything, uninstalling and reinstalling the connector, uninstalling UR2 (doesn't work, get the same error with the older versions now, where it worked fine pre-UR2) and discovery.exe finds it (but crashes in the final step...running the connector from the startup folder is fine and the service is installed and running). WHS Connector Troubleshooter only finds a surprising error: That the connector software and the Home Server are different versions...that is with the NEW connector btw (1/10/2011 date on the .msi). Ye ha...this is a perfect reason why you shouldn't have auto updates enabled...mea culpa. Oh, the console opens from WHS itself, just fine.

P

Edited by N_Nescio

Problem here too, but different:

Pre-UR2, all was well. After UR2, the connector (on 3 Win 7 32 machines) can't connect to the Home Server. EDIT: The console won't appear...if backups occur (they are) it is connected somehow...but no console. (This computer can not connect to your home server)...but, it is green, it can run a back up manually, it is running scheduled back ups, I can get to WHS via the browser (edit II: everything works on the web page, except trying to open the console), and the shortcut to the shares is fine. I have tried rebooting everything, uninstalling and reinstalling the connector, uninstalling UR2 (doesn't work, get the same error with the older versions now, where it worked fine pre-UR2) and discovery.exe finds it (but crashes in the final step...running the connector from the startup folder is fine and the service is installed and running). WHS Connector Troubleshooter only finds a surprising error: That the connector software and the Home Server are different versions...that is with the NEW connector btw (1/10/2011 date on the .msi). Ye ha...this is a perfect reason why you shouldn't have auto updates enabled...mea culpa. Oh, the console opens from WHS itself, just fine.

P

Yes, I also noted the same warning using the WHS Connector Troubleshooter under [5.2]Check client version:

Server Version: 6.0.2423.0

Client Version: 6.0.3436.0

But I don't have any issues with the connection or the update. BTW - I did not uninstall the Connector software before running the update. Once the update had finished, the Connector was automatically updated (blue icon). Afterward, the icon turned green and all was well.

I'm having issues myself.

My Web Site doesn't load with the new UR2. If I uninstall and setup the Web Site again, it works.

This update should have been tested better. :angry:

I am wondering if this could be some sort of hardware issue.

Installed the update and everything works fine, didn't even notice the connector upgrade.