RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

I could use some help about a new WHS hardware build

Pisces215

Hey Guys,

I have been out of the loop for quite a while so I wanted to ask for your help in building a bew WHS machine.

My requirements are:

I would like the machine to be as fast as it can using the least amout of watts possible. This PC will need to be able to multitask. (needs to be able to run vail so I can have easy upgradability if I decide to switch from V1)

I will be using a raid 1 for 2 internal 3.5 1TB 7200rpm WD Black drives and an external usb2 box for backups.(Backup box has 2 2TB 3.5 green drives in a raid 0.

I decided I am going to get the Gigabyte H55N-USB3 mini itx board and the LIAN LI PC-Q08B case. (unless you know of another case that can fit 2 hard drives and this mother board with a regular heat sink.)

I need recomendations on a processor, Memory, Power supply, (most efficant as possible), Possible case (if you know one that will work with this configuration)

Thank you very much and I will be looking foward to your imput,

Marc

Edited by Pisces215

I'll just say right off the top, that case is very nice if you don't plan to frequently swap out drives. I used it in a WHS build for my daughter and it is working quite well, but others have noted that it's a lot more work to add or remove drives. If you're going to use this primarily as a server and not try to lump a lot of extra duties on it, whatever those may be, a Core i3-530 will more than suffice for v1 and v2. The manual for the H55N-USB3 motherboard recommends DDR3 RAM @ 1.5V. While you can run 1600 OC'd, I'd recommend you stay away from that scenario and go with DDR3 1333 from any reputable memory manufacturer. I'm running A-DATA (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333 and it's just fine, and right now it's a good deal less than what I paid for it. Look for an 80 PLUS power supply, perhaps modular if you're going with the Lian Li case you mentioned.

Some of the guys here have tested Vail on Core i3 builds and their impressions were positive.

My comments would be why use such a nice drive(s) for the OS when new the version will be able to isolate the OS to a 160 gig drive? And if memory serves me correctly, V1 does not play well with RAID configurations on the primary drive.

I would use the Intel i530 for the CPU as many will attest to it for this project. "NoControl" has one for sale along with a MOBO and RAM in the For Sale section.

Sorry Guys....I kinda goofed

I meant to say that my server internal drives are running raid 0 and my external backup box is running raid 1

Also the H55n-usb3 board doesnt support raid so I would either not have raid or I would set up a raid in the windows disk management snap-in in WHS

I will defenity look into a i3-530 then. I just wanted to make sure it would run both versions.

DVN.....Hard drives will stay in the system until that fail (Disk swap), The only intensive thing i may run is the MY-movies add-in and mabye do some rips. Would that still be ok on an i3-530?

jimwills....I have not yet tested vail yet so I did not know you could have seperate drives for os and data. I just started running Home server recently. MY current build is with old parts (Intel DG965WH systemboard, Core 2 1.86ghz, 2 western digital 7200 1tb drives in raid 0 config, onboard video, 2gb ddr2 400 ram) system seems to run fine with the raid. The systemboard is giving me some issues plus I can't get all the WHS/windows 2003 drivers for it...they are not avaliable. Also with the drives.....You say nice drives...Should I use different drives like greens? I would use 7200 laptop drives but if i went new i would get 2tb drives(which don't exist yet) I like the raid becasue it was letting me transfer files from my desktop to the server at 95mb/sec. I copyed 240gb in a little over an hour.

Please let me know

Thanks again

Edited by Pisces215

Sorry Guys....I kinda goofed

I meant to say that my server internal drives are running raid 0 and my external backup box is running raid 1

Also the H55n-usb3 board doesnt support raid so I would either not have raid or I would set up a raid in the windows disk management snap-in in WHS

I will defenity look into a i3-530 then. I just wanted to make sure it would run both versions.

DVN.....Hard drives will stay in the system until that fail (Disk swap), The only intensive thing i may run is the MY-movies add-in and mabye do some rips. Would that still be ok on an i3-530?

I don't think I'd run RAID0 on my server. But if you're backing up your whole server to a NAS daily, then I suppose it's OK, and I understand your reasons for doing so. Anyway, I've heard Dave talk on past podcasts about ripping DVDs on his EX495 which has a Intel E5200 processor. The Core i3-530 is quite a bit more powerful than that. I think you'll be fine.

I have to agree with DVN and stay away from RAID in V1. That being said, as others have stated, the 530/540 will do a great job in V1, Vail, and Server 2008 (I have two running now, have tested vail, and have a 530 in WHS V1). As for memory and power supply, I have found a fondness to the cooler master modular series. Great match with you smaller case and even thouh they are 500-600w, they are very efficient use little power on their own. I have these in 7 of my eight systems. Memory is very critical in the Core I-series and so I would go with the gskill, corsair, as my first choice. In all fairness, the A-data brand that DVN recommended are excellent and I have used them many times but as I have used Gskill in the last 10 core I-530 systems all running 1600, I have faith in that configuration. The bottom line is any of these should work but stay away from OCZ. They make great SSD's but there memory is not so good.