RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

failed cleanup for client backup

Chris karst

Server 2012 Essentials being used for client backups of connected computers.

I keep getting an alert warning:

A scheduled cleanup task for client computer backup did not finish successfully.

I have done the Try to repair. - error not fixed

I have manually ran the scheduled task. - error not fixed

I have run the client backup tool to repair backups. - does not show errors, and claims to have completed successfully.

I'm lost as to what to do next.

Chris

• 1 year later...
On 9/15/2019 at 8:48 AM, Chris karst said:

Server 2012 Essentials being used for client backups of connected computers.

I keep getting an alert warning:

A scheduled cleanup task for client computer backup did not finish successfully.

I have done the Try to repair. - error not fixed

I have manually ran the scheduled task. - error not fixed

I have run the client backup tool to repair backups. - does not show errors, and claims to have completed successfully.

I'm lost as to what to do next.

Chris

Chris, have finally encountered this issue.  Were you able to figure out how to fix this?

• 1 year later...

I am writing down all of the related things which might helps you -

In Task Scheduler, under Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Windows Server, there is a weekly scheduled task named “Cleanup.” According to its description, “This task applies the backup retention policy to clean up the client computer backup database.” Sounds promising, but according to its History tab, it looks like it has never run:

Other tasks in the same section have history entries, so task scheduler history is enabled. Checking the Event Viewer, the TaskScheduler > Operational log goes back 9 days, so it should definitely include a weekly task.

Run Manually

I decided to try running the task manually. It completed in about 7 minutes with Exit Code 0, and wrote the history as expected:

What Happened?

I don’t know. The original message said that the cleanup failed on 3/9 11:59pm. But no issues were reported in my 3/10 server report.

I’ll just have to check this next week to see if the scheduled task is running as scheduled.

Update June 10, 2013

Still no clear understanding of what happened here. Possibly something about a task trigger not being registered properly. There are two easy workarounds. Basically I have faced this issue at first on best workforce management software kolkata. Open the Properties of the missed task. On the Triggers tab, either:

Change the Start date of the existing trigger. You can leave the time as is. Suggested in a Microsoft TechNet forum thread.

Disable or delete the failing trigger. Create a new weekly trigger.

Remember to do this both both weekly tasks, Cleanup and ConsistencyChecker. The 2012 Essentials Health Report only complains about the missing Cleanup job, but ConsistencyChecker is supposed to run weekly as well.

Running Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2 on Thecus hardware. My three active client computers have been unable to back themselves up successfully for at least a few weeks. Issue seems to be lack of disk space on the server. I've gone through each client's backups and designated many to be removed at the next backup cleanup. I've allowed the automatic Saturday night cleanup to happen, and I've remote-desktopped into the server to use the Task Scheduler to run the Backup Cleanup task manually. In all cases, the task runs to completion with no errors, but the backups that should have been discarded remain, and the overall usage of the disk that houses the client backups doesn't go down. I've looked for guidance on manually deleting files from the Client Computer Backups folder but have found nothing.

I've turned off backups for the active machines, but I'm unable to do so for machines that are still listed but are no longer connected. I've been reluctant to remove those non-connected computers, as there are backups from those machines that I'd like to retain. My sense is that the Backup Cleanup may not run correctly if there are still machines set up for backup, even if those machines are no longer connected (or, in some cases, no longer in my possession), though I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere.

Looking for effective suggestions to reclaim space on the storage drives. Would be nice if the Backup Cleanup task would just work as it's supposed to.

Hope this article will help everyone properly.

if you were to delete some of the long lost client machines it gives an option to keep the backups, I'm not sure if they still get tidied up over time though. I face occasional frustrations with essentials 2016 as well. some day I'm going to just give up on windirt and go linux.