RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
io1901

SATA controller Failure?

io1901

I'm running unraid 6.7.2 and I thought I was having disk problems but moving the disks to another PC indicated that it might be a SATA controller problem - it appears to be only picking up the disk in the ODD slot, none of the four disks in the 3.5 bays are being detected at boot. This happened a few weeks and then seemed to fix itself but on a shutdown and reboot tonight it did exactly the same thing.

Any ideas? Or is the controller faulty?

schoondoggy

The four drives in the front bays are connected to the system board with a single SFF-8087 cable. Check that connection to be sure it is properly seated properly with no tension side to side. Are the drives in the front bays powering up? Check the power connection to the bays.

• Like 1

io1901

I checked the data cable but didn't think about the power cable. I'll have a look tomorrow.

oj88

+1 on the power. Hopefully it's just a physical connection that worked its way loose.

Years ago, I ran into SATA disk I/O disconnect issues from multiple drives. It took days before I figured out that the power supply was the culprit. It was one of those cheap ones that came with the chassis. At least in my case, it was probably due to any of the following; Undervoltage, undercurrent, or dirty (unfiltered) power. I replaced the PSU and to this day, I never saw a single I/O error again.

io1901

It was the power connector, removed the ODD molex extension/splitter and it booted fine all disks present except for the SSD that was in the ODD tray as it has no power. The connections looked fine but I'll test the extension with a multimeter.

Edited by io1901