RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
juan9999

HP Gen8 Microserver - how to update the bios? Is there a limit to HDD size?

keymaster

Hi

thank you for your reply and sorry I wasnt clearer.

I updated the iLo only and not anything else, tried lots of times and file fails.

The other issue I now have is I cannot load the Operating system on my server, which is UNRAID on USB stick.

Many thanks

K

schoondoggy
1 hour ago, keymaster said:

Hi

I updated the iLo only and not anything else, tried lots of times and file fails.

The other issue I now have is I cannot load the Operating system on my server, which is UNRAID on USB stick.

Many thanks

K

Have you tried to update the BIOS with a bootable USB and not use iLo?

• Like 1

netware5

Hi

Many thanks

K

The OS booting and BIOS update are unrelated things. Just flash the latest BIOS using iLO and then start to think about OS boot.

• Like 1

keymaster
On 11/20/2019 at 6:16 PM, schoondoggy said:

Have you tried to update the BIOS with a bootable USB and not use iLo?

Hi

No I havent, but having all types of problems getting bootable USBs to work anyway. Exactly what bios should I be updating to please?

keymaster

Hi

Thank you Schoondoggy, much appreciated, however I cannot get it to boot from any USB as posted above hard drive and USB appear to be drive C .

When I load file CPQJ0613.684 this just updates the iLO (already done that ) however

the sytem rom is very old and no service pack updates, sorry if I am totally missing something as you guys seem to finding this so easy. this is why I asked for idiot guide as I am obviously just not getting it.

I am trying to be clear as I can, I have a lifetime ilo and have updated it though ILo administration - Firmware. I have tried several times with several files to update the system ron the same way and get this error in red

"

The last firmware update attempt was not successful. Ready for the next update."

I have tried several times to boot either my O/S or SPP / firmware on bootable disk but it just loops boot on "cannot find a sytem disk"

current system rom is:

System ROM

J06 11/09/2013

schoondoggy

Hi

Thank you Schoondoggy, much appreciated, however I cannot get it to boot from any USB as posted above hard drive and USB appear to be drive C .

When I load file CPQJ0613.684 this just updates the iLO (already done that ) however

the sytem rom is very old and no service pack updates, sorry if I am totally missing something as you guys seem to finding this so easy. this is why I asked for idiot guide as I am obviously just not getting it.

I am trying to be clear as I can, I have a lifetime ilo and have updated it though ILo administration - Firmware. I have tried several times with several files to update the system ron the same way and get this error in red

"

The last firmware update attempt was not successful. Ready for the next update."

I have tried several times to boot either my O/S or SPP / firmware on bootable disk but it just loops boot on "cannot find a sytem disk"

current system rom is:

System ROM

J06 11/09/2013

What tool are you using to make the USB bootable?

Have you tried the bootable USB drive in a different computer, to see if it boots there?

There are many different tools to make a bootable USB, they don't all work in every system.

You don't need to use iLo if you are booting from USB to install the BIOS.

Where did you get the CPQJ0613.684 file from?

netware5

I still cannot understand why you try to use bootable USB to update BIOS. It is so simple to update BIOS using iLO .... And yes, the right file to upload by iLO is CPQJ0613.684

• Like 1

schoondoggy
13 minutes ago, netware5 said:

I still cannot understand why you try to use bootable USB to update BIOS. It is so simple to update BIOS using iLO .... And yes, the right file to upload by iLO is CPQJ0613.684

He is getting an error when trying to update the BIOS through iLo.

I am just trying to give him and alternative path to getting it installed.

• Like 1

keymaster
On 11/21/2019 at 10:28 PM, schoondoggy said:

What tool are you using to make the USB bootable?

Have you tried the bootable USB drive in a different computer, to see if it boots there?

There are many different tools to make a bootable USB, they don't all work in every system.

You don't need to use iLo if you are booting from USB to install the BIOS.

Where did you get the CPQJ0613.684 file from?

Hi

HPEusb and using the file from insode the service pack

thanks

Roy