RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
juan9999

HP Gen8 Microserver - how to update the bios? Is there a limit to HDD size?

juan9999
Just bought my first gen8 to build a NAS on CL and I'd like to upgrade the BIOS before upgrading the processor.
HP of course requires a maintenance contract to access upgrades, but searching the web I found P03093_001_spp-Gen8.1-SPPGen81.4.iso which I burned to a USB and tried to boot from it, but it doesn't seem bootable.
The machine has ESXI installed on it, and I won't want to install windows to run some of the EXE's if possible... 
  1. Any tips to upgrade all the firmwares etc? What updates should I install? Any instructions anywhere?
  2. It does have a HP Smart Array P222/512 FBWC (which I will bypass as I want to use as a NAS) - is there a limit on the HDD size I install in it?
Thanks!

schoondoggy

The latest BIOS release for the MS Gen8 is open for anyone to download, CPU issues, even though it shows as entitlement required. This is the USB key version. install Instructions are listed on the download page;

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_e9bfdf20809a426cb16ef9cd81#tab2

All of the other firmware for iLo and IP, and all of the drivers do not require entitlement.

As far as I know there are no capacity limits with the onboard SATA controller or the P222. Depending on the NAS OS you choose, you may want to use a LSI HBA for the NAS drives, so you can passthrough the controller to the NAS VM. 

juan9999

Thanks for the link! After installing on 5 different USB keys, I finally found one that worked! I was about to give up hope.

Is there anything else that you'd recommend that I update as well?  Do I need to install the Service Pack for ProLiant (SPP) Version 2019.03.1 (if so where can I get it) or just the iLo firmware and IP (Not sure what that is). How about the P222?

Edited by juan9999

schoondoggy

I would update  iLo and Intelligent Provisioning and the P222 if you are going to use it. The SPP download requires entitlement.

keymaster

Hi

I have updated iLo but the service pack has been a nightmare, I have tried and tried all day and connot figure out how to instal it.

I have access to iLo as have a licence and have updated iLo 4 to the latest for the system firmware etc is 2013.

I have tried and tried to put service pack on bootable usb but seems I am failing to understand as it will not boot from the 4 USB sticks I have tried several times each. sorry guys I need an IDIOT guide step by step.

Thank you

K

schoondoggy
16 minutes ago, keymaster said:

Hi

I have updated iLo but the service pack has been a nightmare, I have tried and tried all day and connot figure out how to instal it.

I have access to iLo as have a licence and have updated iLo 4 to the latest for the system firmware etc is 2013.

I have tried and tried to put service pack on bootable usb but seems I am failing to understand as it will not boot from the 4 USB sticks I have tried several times each. sorry guys I need an IDIOT guide step by step.

Thank you

K

Which service pack do you have?

What OS are you running?

I would update the BIOS from the link above.

iLo 2.70

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_f13420b102cb4101ab1befc470

keymaster

Hi

I am running unraid,  current firmware is 2013

Many thanks

Roy

keymaster

Hi

O/S UNRAID

Bootblock Date02/04/2012

System ROM

J06 11/09/2013

System Revision 11/14/2019 18:05 11/14/2019 18:05 1

Firmware flashed (iLO 4 2.70)

keymaster

Hi

Still struggling to get anything to work, hope somebody can help, as confused why hard drive and USB would both be drive C?

wont boot from USB 😞

wth.png

netware5

Why you need to boot the Service Pack? If your intention is to update the BIOS only, you do not need a service pack. Just flash th enew BIOS using iLo.