RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
oj88

Retiring my WHS2011 soon, need advice on next steps

Jason

Am still running WSE2012R2. Pretty much tucked away on a Core i5 3570 with 32GB RAM and lots of disk. Have tried to upgrade it to WSE2016 unsuccessfully so ended up rolling it back.

Have been exploring what the next move might be and wondered if WS2019 had all the same capabilities or would require a completely rebuild and refresh of hardware.

My home server is really just a file server that does windows client backups and serves as a Plex Media Server anymore. Would love to shrink it down and reduce the power usage and heat generation.

oj88
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Jason said:

Am still running WSE2012R2. Pretty much tucked away on a Core i5 3570 with 32GB RAM and lots of disk. Have tried to upgrade it to WSE2016 unsuccessfully so ended up rolling it back.

Have been exploring what the next move might be and wondered if WS2019 had all the same capabilities or would require a completely rebuild and refresh of hardware.

My home server is really just a file server that does windows client backups and serves as a Plex Media Server anymore. Would love to shrink it down and reduce the power usage and heat generation.

First and foremost, if you want to retain the Essentials Experience Role (ie. for client backup and easy management), forget 2019 as that role has been deprecated. There is a method to retrofit the role into Server 2019, but they're not officially supported. A major Windows Update could potentially ruin it.

If you want a stable way to retain and run the Essentials role, Server 2016 is as far as it goes.

We have a similar use case. My setup is an older "gamer" PC with an i5-4570 CPU mated to a Z97 board with 24GB RAM and it's running Server 2019 just fine. The only thing I think I had to do was to install the proper video driver (built-in GPU on the i5) so Plex can use it for HW transcoding. The onboard NIC on this enthusiast board isn't supported also but I don't need it since I have a quad-gigabit server NIC installed (an HP NC375T).

Edited by oj88
  • Like 1

msawyer91

I popped a new 1TB SSD into an HP Envy laptop and loaded Windows 10 for Workstations. I had an available license for Drive Bender (similar to StableBit Drive Pool), and created a mirrored pair of 2 x 1TB USB 3.0 hard drives.

This setup runs my Plex media server flawlessly. I used MakeMKV to rip many of my favorite DVDs that aren't available in Blu-ray or streaming (e.g. True Lies (STILL waiting on James Cameron for that one), Revenge of the Nerds, Dogma, and Up the Creek). This way I can still enjoy some of my favorite titles on Apple TV, Fire Stick, or remotely.

Technogod
Posted (edited)

I still have two WHS 2011 systems but I have disabled remote access. One is a vm which is used for a media server. I still use kmttg for my TIVO media server. I was ready to retire my other WHS 2011 system when COVID-19 pandemic happened. It's located at my mom's house.

I noticed you use Veeam to backup your computer. I'm a strong supporter of Veeam. This WHS 2011 is running Veeam B&R. It's my remote backup for all my computers. I have a total of nine computers. Two of which are VM's. All running Veeam Agent and connected to Veeam B&R. WHS 2011 system will be replaced with a Windows 10 Pro system running newer hardware.

Veeam has a community edition of B&R. You could use this to manage your Veeam Agents. The community edition does not include the WAN Accelerator. If you have slow internet speed to a remote location. This is a must have.

Back to your original question. All of my computers are Windows 10 Pro. I use StableBit DrivePool and StableBit Scanner. I have a 27 TB DrivePool and a 12 TB DrivePool. My wife hoards videos😀 Videos are duplicated using DrivePool. You already know how my important data is backed up. Don't tell her I said that.

I also have Acronis TI 2020 backing up several of my most important computers. They are also replicating to 1 TB of cloud storage.

Edited by Technogod

Jason

Am running a trial currently of Acronis Cyber Backup 12.5 (Windows Essentials) license while I attempt to remedy an issue with Windows Client Backup (Bare Metal Recovery) failing all of a sudden.  It's about $200 USD for a license.  Wasn't aware of options so I used this trial as free insurance as I work thru this issue.