RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
oj88

Retiring my WHS2011 soon, need advice on next steps

oj88

As the title suggests, I am in need of some advice in determining the next phase to continue using my server. With WinSvr 2008 (where WHS2011 is based on) approaching EoSu, I will have to start planning on migrating my media to a more modern OS.

If cost is NOT an issue, is there any practical advantage running Plex Media Server (PMS) on a server OS like 2016 or 2019 vs a client OS like Win10?

I am haunted by the idea I read a long time ago that server OSes handles background apps better compared to client OSes. I would like to think that PMS runs in the background so logic would have me put it in a server OS. But then, how much better will it be? Will it be worth it, considering that managing a server OS would be a little harder than Win10?

Another consideration is PC backup... which will only be available, out-of-the-box, with WinSvr 2012 and 2016 (Essentials Role). With most of my client PC's WHS2011 Launchpad becoming broken, I have started using Veeam (free) on some of those PCs. And although it works great and I like the fact that you can backup multiple PCs concurrently, managing it is a little painful compared to the central management capability of WHS or the Essentials Role. I like the light-handed approach of having visibility on whether individual PCs were backed up successfully or not as well as initiate a manual backup from the server side, on demand. With Veeam, I can't see much on the server side other than the fact that the backup folder timestamps have changed..... but no indication of backup success or failure.  

Any thoughts?

Edited by oj88

oj88

Anyone? 

I’d love to pick your brain. I admit that I’m probably over-thinking this but considering that my WHS2011 ran for over 8 years with very little hiccup, I’d like the new OS to work for the next 8 or so, with the same or better stability and reliability, among other improvements.

Al_Borges

I don't beleive there is any performance advantage in running plex media server on a server platform versus desktop OS. The program is the same for both and management is handled thru its web interface rather than anything running on the server

The big issue are dealing with putting the computer to sleep, if you are using plex DVR

I recently tested having my plex server run on a W10 machine. I was trying to see if I could improve DVR performance versus my existing Qnap set up. (Spoiler, it didn't help at all)

I lost a couple of recordings because the system didn't wake up. The plex forums recommend turning sleep off on a w10 server. A common work aroud is to let the server sleep only when specified - ei over night

If you aren't using plex for 24/7 DVR, then this may not be an issue

This hasn't been an issue with my qnap nas. Server gurus may be able to setup power management in the windows platform. Would love to hear from them on this

oj88

Thank you for that insight.

I do keep the server running 24x7 for a single reason; hard disk life seems to fare better on an always-on system compared to one that shuts down frequently. My oldest WD Red drive, still with 100% health, is already clocking in at almost 7 years of total uptime. The same drives have only seen an average of 100 to 280 start/stop count in their lifetime.

But I digress.

I think I'll take WinSvr 2016 with Essentials Role a spin, just for the client backup features.

Edited by oj88