RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Riddlr

Internal Storage Enclosure Device Failure (Bay 5, Box 0, Port 5I, Slot 0)

Riddlr

Hi Guys,

I have an SSD in the ODD bay running in RAID 0 that has been working fine for months, but recently the server is failing with 'Internal Storage Enclosure Device Failure (Bay 5, Box 0, Port 5I, Slot 0)' listed in ilo event log.  Rebooting the server resolves this and it worked for another 2 more months without issue, but it has been happening more frequently lately.  Is this drive failing?   

I am using a Zheino HDD SSD Caddy and the stock mini sata connector as my Gen8 originally had a DVD drive.

schoondoggy

It could mean the SSD is slowly failing. What brand and model SSD are you using? Have you run diagnostics on the SSD? 

Riddlr

It's a cheap Kingston 240gb sa400s37 drive that i bought in May.

The issue is that it is my esxi boot disk, so i am not sure how to run diagnostics on it.

Riddlr
On 9/2/2019 at 12:41 PM, schoondoggy said:

It could mean the SSD is slowly failing. What brand and model SSD are you using? Have you run diagnostics on the SSD? 

I am seeing a lot of AHCI command aborted messages in the VMWare logs.  I am thinking I should probably disable the  b120i and use AHCI mode for ESXI.  Seems like the recommended path is to install ESXI on an SD card or USB Flash and then use AHCI for the disks...

schoondoggy

I tend to run VMware from USB. To test the SSD you could boot the system from another drive and run diagnostics from there. You could run HPE SSA and see if the B120i is showing errors also.