RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Infant Video Monitor

awraynor

So we have moved our 3 month old into her room and are using the usual

generic audio baby monitor. The audio is bad with lots of interference.

We can't sleep at night due to noise from this thing.

Anyone have any success with a setup with video and/or nightvision that

provides clear audio? It could be designed specifically for babies or

usual video monitoring that can do the job. My house is wired for ethernet

so it doesn't have to be wireless, but that would be preferable.

We never got into the video stuff. We used a monitor but my 2nd boy was a noisy sleep so we usually turned it off! It came in handy when he was napping though. I think video would be good to use when they move out of the crib and into a bed they can get out of. Our first boy was always out of bed looking for trucks or books. Any reason not to go to sleep! I would probably obsess on the video thing and get even less sleep than I did.

Like Dave we used a monitor on child #1 but it didn't last long. I thought about the video with my son, especially during the day for naps but it just never happened.

How far away is the baby's room? Are you on the same floor? Is either you or your wife a light sleeper anyways?

What we found is our kids would make noise during the night. A baby monitor is an amplifier and the lights on them will drive you crazy in a dark room. We learned that one of us would hear the baby if he/she cried. It seems like 1 parent is always a light sleeper (which turned out to be me). I am such a light sleeper that even now I can hear my 4 year old son flip on the light switch in his room during the night.

Think of it this way. What did everyone do before baby monitors? They slept! :) Good Luck.

That's kinda my thinking. If my kid wants to get up and play with his trucks in the middle of the night, as long as he's not bothering any else, so what? I know many nights I'd stay up and read books or the like in the wee hours of the night.

That said, we'll probably get an audio monitor, but more for naps.

Trust me, you don't want them up playing during the night. They will keep you awake and then nap during the day when you have to stay awake.

My first baby is due in a month and I just started the tech infrastructure for the nursery :-) After some research, we're ordering a DECT-based audio baby monitor (Philips Avent). They're about $85 and up on Amazon and get very good reviews about not having static.

Since I work in our basement and the nursery is on the second floor, I'm also installing an IP camera. I purchased a FOSCOM FI8918W from Amazon for about $90 that does pan and tilt, audio, and has a great IR light and IR viewing capabilities. In fact, I'm writing a small application right now for my computer that will sit in a dedicated 7" USB monitor and will show me the video and allow me to control the camera.

Will all of this be useful? I hope so, but ask me again in another six weeks.

Let me know how it goes. We've got about 3.5 month left until our little boy shows up. I might be interested in buying such a device.

I think they are all under the category, "to each their own." Nobody is right or wrong with whatever they choose. I don't think we have helped awraynor much though. Citizein's gear might have helped though. The custom programming is nice too!

I like and agree with CSK on his comments. Noisy and bright! I would like to have video though. Mostly just to play with and see what the little devils are up to.

My wife is a worry wart and the 3 month old girl is a somewhat noisy sleeper.

She thinks that if she can just look on the monitor and see if she is awake

or just being noisy that will help cut down on the trips just to check on her

during the middle of the night. I sleep through it all, she has to wake me for

my turn, so basically my wife gets up everytime. Now I'm stuck in Baltimore for a third

day due to snow, she is getting killed with the night time feedings.

Our room is on one side of the house and both kids on the other side. I would

guess it's less than 30 yards on a single story. I saw the Phillips monitor

and some by Summer Infant. Will likely look at those and let you know how it

turns out.

Here's a screenshot of my custom software, Alert Owl. It's running full screen on a 7" LCD USB monitor on my desk. This is only day three of its existence. I'll improve the UI and add features over time. By the time the baby gets here I hope to have it polished and available to anyone that wants a copy.

AlertOwlScreenshot1.jpg