RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Karazzi

Ubuntu Server on SSD. Logical volume disapears

Karazzi

Hi everyone.

New to this forum.

I have a gen8 microserver running at home, where I have installed an SSD in the ODD sata slot. On the SSD I have installed Ubuntu Server 18.04.

I have then created a logical volume witht the raid controller and can then boot to the SSD. So far so good.

My problem emerges when I reboot the system. The logical volume disapears and it gives the error: "boot logical drive is configured but is missing or offline".

I then have to go into the utility and reconfigure the logical volume. Kind of annoying, when trying to run a headless setup.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Gulftown
      By Gulftown
      As I have decided to make some improvements on my afermarket fan controller I am trying to try implementing thermal control or mobo PWM control of additional fans, but before that I'm in a great need to inderstand how much fan count the controller should be ready to support. As this forum doesn't support polls I have nothing to do but ask you to reply on this topic.

What I would be thankful to know:
      1. How many fans have you installed in your Microserver.
      2. What fans do you use (size, 3/4-pin connector) and where are they located, also what are they cooling.
      3. What way do you power these fans?

Thank you in advance for your feedback!
    • xelent
      By xelent
      Hi there,

I've just gotten my old Proliant server out from mothballs recently to use as a Backup controller for my photographic archive. It's specs are a standard G840 2.8GHz Dual core with 16 GB of ram installed with a standard 350 watt PSU. I'm running WSE 2019 with 4x1TB HDD's installed in the 4 bay drive cage. 3 drives are formatted to RAID 0 in WSE (not embedded HP RAID) and one drive acts as the system/boot drive.

The server is surprisingly responsive given its age, with LAN transfer speeds between 84-94MBs. So has pretty much taken center stage in my backup control between my  external drives and 4x1TB RAID 0 NAS.

However, I have been wanting to attach a 256GB SSD boot drive for my OS, so that I can utilize the full capacity of my 4 bay drive. It seems that the BIOS will not let you boot any HDD/SSD off the spare SATA connection on my MB. Anyway I am hoping to eventually attach a PCIe USB 3 card to that. But in the meantime I would like to boot a separate drive other than the 4 bay one already installed.

I gather that you can install a PCIe SSD card on this machine. But it's not clear to me as to what kind of card and drive would be suitable for this server. I realize that my MB is PCIe gen 2, which will incur diminished speed compared to the latest gen 3 MBs. But should I be using NVMe or SATA m.2 drives? Or does it even matter? Also will the BIOS allow me to boot from this drive?

Thanks for taking the time.
    • Sokoban
      By Sokoban
      Hi 
      My HP Proliant Microserver Gen 8 won't install HP Tools when I have running HP Smart Update Manager. 
      even when I have trying to install via Intelligent Provising, Windows Server 2019.

Se image below 🙂 That's I missing.. ;-(