Jump to content
RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Notbugged

PCIe to Dual NVME Adapter

Recommended Posts

schoondoggy
On 8/26/2019 at 9:03 PM, Notbugged said:

no raid is fine since i use software RAID anyway

but why does it not work on Gen8?

 

thanks!

PCI-e bifurcation is the issue. I can not tell for certain, but there does not appear to be any controller or intelligence on the card you listed. That card would require the motherboard to bifurcate the PCIe slot to recognize the two M.2 NVMe SSD as two separate devices. I do not think the MS Gen8 supports bifurcation. There are PCIe cards that support two NVMe M.2 SSD and have a controller to handle the bifurcation. One of those may work, but few of them are low profile.

Here is a good explanation of PCIe bifurcation:

https://blog.donbowman.ca/2017/10/06/pci-e-bifurcation-explained/

Here is a good discussion on the card you listed being used in SMC server boards, legacy BIOS vs UEFI and bifurcation support:

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/aoc-slg3-2m2-to-bifurcate-or-not-bifurcate-on-x9dri-ln4f.19047/

Section 3-3 details the BIOS settings needed to use this card. The MS Gen8 does not have these settings:

https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/other/AOC-SLG3-2M2.pdf

Read the reviews and the questions answered:

https://www.amazon.com/Supermicro-AOC-SLG3-2M2-PCIe-Add-Card/dp/B071S3ZY8P/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

This card may work for what you are trying to do. It is low profile, supports two M.2 NVMe cards and handles bifurcation:

https://www.amazon.com/Ableconn-PEXM2-130-Dual-Carrier-Adapter/dp/B07PRN2QCV

The version of Linux you are using factors into this as well, support for NVMe and software RAID support for NVMe.. Unfortunately, you will need to test these to confirm what works. If it were me, I would try one NVMe device on an inexpensive card like the one you listed at the top of the thread. If that works you could try a card with dual M.2 NVMe and bifurcation support.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Notbugged

Thanks!!! 

Million thanks! 

 

I'll look into it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Notbugged
On 8/28/2019 at 2:44 AM, schoondoggy said:

PCI-e bifurcation is the issue

Thanks very very much for the enlightenment!

 

Yes, those cheapie dual NVMe adapters are dumb devices, they need BIOS support for bifurcation.

 

The cheapest dual NVMe adapter w/onboard bifurcation support cost >US$100.

 

I'd have to give up this idea for now.

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
schoondoggy
2 hours ago, Notbugged said:

Thanks very very much for the enlightenment!

 

Yes, those cheapie dual NVMe adapters are dumb devices, they need BIOS support for bifurcation.

 

The cheapest dual NVMe adapter w/onboard bifurcation support cost >US$100.

 

I'd have to give up this idea for now.

 

Thanks!

Which board did you find for $100?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Notbugged
1 hour ago, schoondoggy said:

Which board did you find for $100?

O1CN01LXuuqU2KjBZCXV7n3_!!1608549592.jpg

 

DT-130A Asmedia ASM2824

 

Oh it's PCI-E 3.0 too, is it not compatible with Gen8?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Notbugged
Posted (edited)

Found this too, maybe a good alternative, PCIe to 4 x mSATA, Marvell 88SE9230, built-in RAID too

O1CN012BF6yWttbWvK000_!!68828308.jpg

Edited by Notbugged

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
schoondoggy
11 hours ago, Notbugged said:

O1CN01LXuuqU2KjBZCXV7n3_!!1608549592.jpg

 

DT-130A Asmedia ASM2824

 

Oh it's PCI-E 3.0 too, is it not compatible with Gen8?

Do you have a link? I am not finding it available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
schoondoggy
10 hours ago, Notbugged said:

Found this too, maybe a good alternative, PCIe to 4 x mSATA, Marvell 88SE9230, built-in RAID too

O1CN012BF6yWttbWvK000_!!68828308.jpg

May have some applications, but mSATA SSD are expensive per GB. A single fast NVMe M.2 SSD would be faster than a RAID0 of four mSATA device and cost less, even at PCIe 2.0 speeds in the MS Gen8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nrf

it is great that we now can choose from a regular sata or m.2 pcie for less than $100 per terabyte!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Notbugged
22 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

Do you have a link? I am not finding it available.

https://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?id=588809388964

21 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

May have some applications, but mSATA SSD are expensive per GB. A single fast NVMe M.2 SSD would be faster than a RAID0 of four mSATA device and cost less, even at PCIe 2.0 speeds in the MS Gen8.

Yeah but does asm2824 works on gen8 for dual nvme ssd? 

 

Price difference is about 80usd between that and the msata model

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...