RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Angelus

No storage driver works

Angelus

Good day all

i bought a gen 10 x3216 MicroServer and I have been trying to install windows server 2016 on it with a usb and I get it to boot into the usb with the iso on it but I can not get past the one install step where u supposed to select the drive.

instead it says to download storage drivers and browse to select driver. I have downloaded every single storage driver from the hpe site or is sure does feel like it.

if I try to select the driver I have to do so manually by unticking show only compatible drivers because if I leave it ticked there is nothing compatible. Iam stumped on what the correct driver is.

ok so what Iam trying to do isssssss I want to install the os onto the usb that I have attached inside the box the one that is directly coming off the board. Is that a different driver ? 

In bios/boot up options I can see all usb connected.

can anyone please help me with this 

Angelus

i have tried so many things and so many drivers from the hp site i'm actually just plain confused now

all i want to do is install windows from one usb that i made in rufus on to the usb that is on the board

.... in bios and boot i can see both usb's but as soon as i get to the "where do u want to install windows" screen there is nothing.

in cmd diskpart i can see the both usbs aswell ... it seems that it is only the install that is not seeing it but then it is coz it is there if i try to browse for drivers

schoondoggy

You could try switching the BIOS from UEFI boot to Legacy boot. 

How do you have the target USB formatted? 

The internal USB port is USB 2.0 your system will be quite slow if you run Windows Server 2016 on a USB 2.0 device.

Angelus

Hi there thanks for the reply

yes I have tried both uefi and legacy neither work to load the storage driver.

the target usb is. Apacer 128gig usb 3.0 and is formatted into Ntsf.

i also did try the apacer on one of the four USB ports at the back of the box as well and the same problem

Angelus

Ok thanks a lot I will have a look and check 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• oldwhs12
      By oldwhs12
      I have been running the WHS1 pack 3 for many years.  Unfortunately it is no longer working.  I got a Proliant microserver Gen10 hoping it will run it but was unable to install the software.  The software should run on most older PCs?

Does anyone have the WHS1 running on the Gen10?  Also my WHS1 iso is Pack 1.  If I manage to install the Pack 1 can I find on the web the upgrade to pack 3?  Would I be forever stuck at Pack 1?  Any advice would be appreciated.

• gru
      By gru
      Hi! I am planning to buy a Microserver Gen10 Plus E-2224 for a small business, and want to add as much disk space as possible. I already have the older Gen10 with 4x4TB HDDs in RAID10 (effective capacity 8TB) and a 2TB SSD in the 5th slot (which is missing on the new G10 plus). The max stated capacity on the HPE site seems to be limited with their own enterprise HDDs, so I'd like to see if I can go for bigger disks. The server would be running a sort of an application which collects lots of data from devices, and the data tends to grow over time (1-2TB per year), and I'd prefer not to worry about the capacity for the next several years.

My primary concern is the max capacity (max single drive capacity + max total RAID capacity with the Smart Array S100i) I can reliably install. If possible, some actual setup which has been shown to work with 32GB RAM and its limited 180W power supply? I was also planning on upgrading it to 32GB. If I am buying a 16GB RAM server, does this means it has both slots occupied with 8GB modules and I need a 2x32GB kit? For the os SSD, I won't have the PCIe slot available because we need to insert a certain GPS PCIe card that the server uses for time synchronization. So, if I want an SSD, this means I should use something like 1xSSD + 3xHDD in RAID5, instead of RAID10?  
      I've been planning to install 16TB Seagate Exos X16 drives, with rated max operating power at 10W (6.3W for random reads/writes). Does this seam feasible?

Thanks a lot for your tips!
    • hfournier
      By hfournier
      I'm putting together a build for a non-profit client and I want to make sure they're getting the best bang for their bucks.

Current server:
      HP MicroServer N40L 8 GB WS2012E Plextor PX-256M5Pro SSD - OS drive SAMSUNG HD103SI 1TB (x2) - Data drives (Storage Spaces) WDC WD20EZRX 2TB (x2) - Data drives (Storage Spaces)  
      On the new server, I'd like to setup the OS on SSDs (RAID 1) for speed and redundancy. Trying to squeeze extra SSDs on the Gen 10 Plus lead me to using the PCIe card. I guess on the Gen 10 there's enough room and SATA connections to put a couple of SSDs in the Optical bay instead. And, I'm leaving 1 drive bay empty to add another 2 TB should they need it, which is not likely.

New Server Option 1 ($2084 CDN):
      HP MicroServer Gen 10 X3418 (P07203-001) 8 GB 8 GB Module - DDR4 2400MHz (Kingston KTH-PL424E/8G) WS2016E StarTech.com Dual M.2 PCIe SSD Adapter Card - x8 / x16 Dual NVMe or AHCI M.2 SSD to PCI Express 3.0 - RAID & JBOD (PEX8M2E2) Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V7E500BW) (x2) - OS Drives (RAID 1) WD Gold 2TB (x3) - Data drives (Storage Spaces, or can I RAID 5 them?)  
      New Server Option 2 ($2362):
      HP MicroServer Gen 10 Plus (P16006-001) 16 GB WS2016E StarTech.com Dual M.2 PCIe SSD Adapter Card - x8 / x16 Dual NVMe or AHCI M.2 SSD to PCI Express 3.0 - RAID & JBOD (PEX8M2E2) Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V7E500BW) (x2) - OS Drives (RAID 1) WD Gold 2TB (x3) - Data drives (Storage Spaces, or can I RAID 5 them?)  
      So two questions for all of you:
      If anything, what would you change and why? For the extra $278 (13% more), is the Gen 10 Plus worth it?  
      Thanks.

• E3000
      By E3000
      Hey guys,

As of June 2020, what are the latest versions of firmware for HP Microserver Gen8 to be installed on the system itself? Also do any other components have updatable firmware/os-independent software?

So far my list is as follows:
      BIOS - J06 (04/04/2019) iLO 4 - v2.73 (11/02/2020) Intelligent Provisioning - v1.71 (20/02/2019)  
      and I guess the following could also be added (although both out of date):
      Smart Update Manager (HP SUM) - v8.1.0 (21/12/2017) Service Pack for ProLiant (06/11/2017)  
      Date formated as DD/MM/YYYY.

I believe all the B120i Smart Storage stuff is part of Intelligent Provisioning.
    • Al_Borges
      By Al_Borges
      Dropbox is deprecating  the "free" tier of their storage plans

got an email from them this evening  that "I cannot link any new devices" and the only alternative is to upgrade to a $10/month plan

This is from their forums

"Dropbox device limit
      Dropbox Limits Its Free Accounts To Maximum Of Three Devices. Previously, there was no such limit implemented. According to the Dropbox website, as of March, users of its free Basic tier can add their account to a maximum of three devices. However, if they already had the device linked to more than three devices, then they will continue to function. "
      I don't know how hard and fast this is  -   I tried installing a dropbox instance on my cell phone and couldn't this evening -    I think my main PC

is on the list -   I couldn't find a listing of existing "connected devices"  on my dropbox account.

I don't even know what my other two devices are -   probably long gone  my old windows cell phone for example.

Just as Well -    Dropbox was my main cloud storage about what 10 years ago but with the improvements to OneDrive/Gdrive, and my eventual use of Office 365 storage became kinda moot.   will probably just cancel my account, which is probably what they wanted anyway

what is the old saying  "If you aren't paying for the product, you are the product"    

also   "once bitten twice shy"     Cloud Storage is not a  true  backup  

due to Crashplan's demise,    this winter I backed up all my irreplaceable data  ( family photos, documents)  on   M-Disk archival Blu ray disks.  

I have a copy in my firesafe and at my Brother's house  in another state.