RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Tikanderoga

Thinking about de-virtualizing my MS G10

Tikanderoga

Hi all

Long time lurker.

I've been running a G7 and now a G10 MS with Esxi 5.5, now 6.7 i think, and I'm getting tired of it. It then is a Server 2012R2, running my files and media content.

Also in the fray is an LSI 9210 Raid controller. Used to run Raid 5, but the raid kept degrading and I had to run the software to configure from a bare metal installation or rebuild from the menu, meaning the raid was more in rebuild than in actual use.

I'm thinking about going bare metal,  install Server 2016 and backup the whole stuff regularly to an external NAS, which I've been doing for the past 20 months as it is already with Veeam. 

In case of need for a VM, i've been thinking of firing up HyperV. I know Gen10 doesn't support pass through, so that's one of the main reasons to de-virtualise.

Also thinking about removing the Raid card in the process, going back to stock gear.

Thoughts and suggestions?

schoondoggy

If you are not going to use RAID, I would pull the LSI. 

For any Windows OS I would install on a SSD on the SATA port for the ODD.

I have not had time to do thorough testing, but I like unRAID for storage and some VM use on the MS Gen10:

https://unraid.net/ 

Tikanderoga
2 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

If you are not going to use RAID, I would pull the LSI. 

For any Windows OS I would install on a SSD on the SATA port for the ODD.

I have not had time to do thorough testing, but I like unRAID for storage and some VM use on the MS Gen10:

https://unraid.net/ 

Thanks Schoondoggy

Yeah I've read a few threads about the ODD Sata port.

The idea is to install:

1 60 or 120GB SSD for OS on the ODD port

on the 4 slot ports:

1 500GB SSD for everything incoming

1 6TB HDD for media and storage

1 6TB HDD for replicated backup of the above, and then the drive gets taken offline

I haven't used the onboard raid controller so far, do you know its performance?

schoondoggy

The onboard RAID is implemented with the Marvell SATA controller. Four SATA 6Gb/s ports AHCI or RAID 0-1-10 no cache.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• ido.hamdi
      By ido.hamdi
      Hello and good morning / afternoon.
      We are experiencing problems when adding a Hyper-V host in to a SCVMM (Both 2016)
      The procedure itself completed successfully,
      But right after the job has finished, the host is getting a BSOD with "Inaccessible Boot Device" Massage.
      I have tried multiple hosts and SCVMMs but the result is the same...
      Any ideas?
      Thanks.!
    • Server Grunt
      By Server Grunt
      Hi,

Having now decided on my server build and ordered the parts (see my concluding answer at http://homeserversho...ild-re-visited/)
      and I am now busy with figuring out the virtualization alternatives.

Being a beginner at virtualization, I have been looking around the net and trying to get the picture on which way is the best to go, but not really coming up with a non-commercial (written by VM or Microsoft affiliates) "comprehendible, match by match and focused on why to use either or system as a start for Virtualization" -analysis on the pros and cons of VMware and Hyper-V.
      Original intention to run a one box virtual environment using Server 2008 R2 as host (and it would also manage my home NW environment, group policies etc.).

Guests would include:
      WHS2011 production server storage/back-up, video streaming
      2xW7 Production PC
      WHS 2011 test server
      W7 test pc
      W8 test pc

Usage/tasks:
      WHS for storage and back up
      W7 for work
      W7 and/or WHS for media management (TV- streaming/video & music; encoding, trans coding), photo editing etc

As you see the virtual clients need access to hardware, including PCI and USB for this to work properly

In short - When is either to prefer, why should I choose on or the other for my home virtual box etc and
      based on my use case and need to let the clients have access to at least PCI ( I can live without USB back-up), should I go with:
      Continue with original plan (2008 R2 + Hyper V)?

or Run VMware as host for everything, including Server 2008 R2?

or Use both VMware – as briefly described on tinkertry.com?

And
      Why?  
      Hope that this forum can shed some light

Br,
      Grunt