RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Update for Windows Home Server (KB981089)

TheGuy

Hey Folks,

Look at what Microsoft gave us today:

Date last published: 1/25/2011

Download size: 21.4 MB

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows Home Server. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

System Requirements

Recommended CPU: Not specified.

Recommended memory: Not specified.

Recommended hard disk space: Not specified.

How to Uninstall

This software update can be removed via Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.

Get help and support

http://support.microsoft.com

More information

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981089

High-priority updates

Microsoft Windows Server 2003

Download size: 21.4 MB , 2 minutes

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows Home Server. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981089

An update for Windows Home Server is available through Windows Update on January 25, 2011. This update contains fixes for eight issues that were found since the release of the Windows Home Server update that was released on August 24, 2010 (KB 979453).

The following issues are fixed in this update.

Issue 1

Assume that you use Windows Internet Explorer 9 to access the computer page of the Windows Home Server Remote Access website. In this situation, your connection fails if your Windows Home Server Remote Access website is not added to the trusted sites zone.

Issue 2

The TV archive add-in in Media Center fails on the TV archive page after you change the calendar to the Japanese format.

Issue 3

The uninstallation process fails on your first attempt to uninstall Windows Home Server Power Pack 3 Client Connector from a home computer.

Issue 4

When you shut down a home computer, Windows Home Server may report that antivirus software is not installed or is out of date. This occurs even though the antivirus software is installed and up-to-date.

Issue 5

A home computer that is joined to one of the following servers is not blocked when the computer tries to join Windows Home Server:

The next version of Windows Home Server

Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials

Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials

This causes software compatibility issues.

Issue 6

The current version of Identity Client Run Time Library that is included in Windows Home Server contains a potential privacy issue.

Issue 7

A function call may fail if you use the Windows Home Server software development kit (SDK) to retrieve user information on a German or French version of Windows Home Server.

Issue 8

The Remote Access website may be vulnerable to cross-site request forgery attacks.

Enjoy,

TheGuy

Thanks for the reminder! The KB wasn't live as of 2 hours ago so I see it works now. I put a post up. Check my version numbers against your and tell me if they are the same.

I just download the update manually... we will see if those changes actually do what they are suppose to on my WHS.

The notice about not having a AV package installed is no longer visible for me. I know what caused this but always ignored it. So far so good and the vulnerability in the web access surely did need a fix.

I know we still have several months until EOL, but to roll out these fixes is at least encouraging but are we being given false promises?? I'll use it until they pry it from my cold lifeless hands. :unsure:

Everybody keep reporting back. Especially if you prove/disprove one of the bullet points listed in the KB article.

Looks like #4 is solved. And the console load is as fast as I've ever seen it. We'll see if that remains so over time.

The Show was Great But remember That What others don't Make We Home Server Show People Will make for the Little pepole SO NO Downer ViVa Home Server 1 and Home Server Vail We shall PrVail Yes.