RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Recommendations on USB 3.0 Thumb Drive

edamiga1

I am looking for a recommendation for a USB 3.0 Thumb Drive as well as any guidance on if the extra cost is worth it.

I basically want a fast USB thumb drive to carry data around. At least 16GB no larger than 64GB.

I am ok to stay with USB 2.0 if the price performance is not there yet.

I am looking for a recommendation for a USB 3.0 Thumb Drive as well as any guidance on if the extra cost is worth it.

I basically want a fast USB thumb drive to carry data around. At least 16GB no larger than 64GB.

I am ok to stay with USB 2.0 if the price performance is not there yet.

The USB 3.0 thumb drive performance is getting there "slowly" but with crazy high prices. As far as thumb drives, getting USB 3.0 with 80MB read is gonna run you $100 right now for 16GB. With a cheap $30 SuperTalent USB 3.0 16GB ($15 8GB) drive you will get about 50MB.

With a USB 2.0 $15 Corsair Voyager 16GB drive you will get 30MB. Wait for a sale though.

Does physical size matter? If not, get yourself a small USB 3.0 enclosure and insert an old laptop drive. You will probably get 75MB read and have a lot more space.

If you want even faster, insert a 32GB SSD and get 125MB.

Tim

Edited by Daleo1

Ended up purchasing a Patriot Rage and get about 30MB read and 20 GB write from my SSD. This is a lot better than what I previously had.

I also went with the suggestion of getting a USB 3.0 enclosure and got the 500GB WD Black drive. This should provide solid storage for my movie library when I travel. I will be interested in the r/w performance and will post some thing back on this.

Total cost for the enclosure and drive was less than 100, so much better than what I could have gotten with usb3 thumb drive.

Ended up purchasing a Patriot Rage and get about 30MB read and 20 GB write from my SSD. This is a lot better than what I previously had.

I also went with the suggestion of getting a USB 3.0 enclosure and got the 500GB WD Black drive. This should provide solid storage for my movie library when I travel. I will be interested in the r/w performance and will post some thing back on this.

Total cost for the enclosure and drive was less than 100, so much better than what I could have gotten with usb3 thumb drive.

I think you will be very happy with USB 3.0 speeds with the enclosure. I love mine. Your writes on your Rage do seem a little high though... :lol:

Edited by Daleo1

Ended up going with WD 1TB USB drive. Should get it tomorrow. It was $100 at Costco and came with a case. double the storage half the cost and I hope it performs better.

I retested the Rage USB stick and it gave me the same results. Will be interested in what the perf will be on the 1TB drive.

Ended up going with WD 1TB USB drive. Should get it tomorrow. It was $100 at Costco and came with a case. double the storage half the cost and I hope it performs better.

I retested the Rage USB stick and it gave me the same results. Will be interested in what the perf will be on the 1TB drive.

I am just playing. You put "20 GB write" instead of 20MB on your original post!

Edited by Daleo1

Yes you are correct, MB not GB. That performance is probably about a decade away.

I did get my 1TB drive in and the performance is pretty solid on USB 2.0 Haven't had a chance to test on USB 3.0.