RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
scottavery

Coming back to a ML10 v2 - where to start?

schoondoggy

Channels should mirror each other.

Page 35 has the DIMM population map:

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c04622279

'Populate the DIMM slots in this sequence: 2-A, 4-B, 1-C, 3-D.'

8GB memory modules in 2-A and 4-B, then the 2GB memory modules in 1-C and 3-D.

The iLo Advanced license should still work fine.

scottavery

Super helpful, again!  Should I at some point need additional SATA ports to put SSDs in the 5.25 bays, is there a recommended HP controller for a PCIe slot, or can I just use a generic one?

scottavery

Another page recommends SAS card to SATA breakout cable instead.  Agree?

schoondoggy

If you are going to use RAID then an HPE RAID card would be a good choice as it will work well with the B120i built in.

If you are going to switch the B120i to AHCI then I would use a SAS HBA to add more ports. You could use SAS or SATA drives. LSI HBA's are most popular. Many HPE HBA's are LSI OEM. 

scottavery

Up and running finally.  Installed hyper-v server 19 initially, then scrapped it and went with just Win 10 for now.  Took forever to get windows activated from the old box.  In the end I had to track down my original win 8 Pro product key as no amount of swapping hardware would allow the activation to succeed and Microsoft support would not help, despite there being a key linked to my MS ID.

I have not managed to get the RAID controller config app to load when going through POST.  It says press F5, and then says it will load automatically, but never does.  It recognizes the single disk I had added years ago, but not sure if I will need to take any action when adding other disks.  I have 3 3TB WD green drives from the previous home server that I need to decide if I will use or repurpose elsewhere and get larger capacity drives to start.  Unfortunately the deal on 10TB drives closed before I thought to stock up.

scottavery

One of the 10TB's arrived DOA, so I guess I wont be shucking either.  what a nuisance.