RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
scottavery

Coming back to a ML10 v2 - where to start?

scottavery

I have an ML10 v2 that has sat in the box for 3 years that I was wondering if it could still be put to use.  Obviously my support contracted ended years ago, but I recall buying another annual license that must be lying around somewhere to activate.  Is HP still providing firmware and/or support?  I boxed it up when I was moving and never got back to it as the last firmware I had put on it diabled one of the NICs and I never figured out what went on.  I'd been trying to load the GUI-less Hyper-V server as the main OS and that had been a fail as well.

To top it off, I am pretty sure I was following a guide from We Got Served, which is no more, so I am lost.  Where does one find similar guidance for setting up win server essentials?

Do I have to do anything with HP at the firmware level before I move on to putting on an OS?

I don't see any positive impressions of Essentials 2019, so does that mean go with 2016?  I was originally migrating a WHS 2011, but that is long dead now.

Thanks, all!

schoondoggy

The ML10v2 is still a viable system. HPE has firmware and drivers. You need a valid warranty to download BIOS, but all other drivers are free. I think the latest critical BIOS update is free, no warranty required, as it addresses vulnerabilities.

The issue you may be running into while trying to load Hyper-V server maybe the storage controller. Out of the box the ML10v2 has the B120i RAID controller enabled. I believe you need to load a driver for the B120i while installing Hyper-V. If you are not planning on using the B120i, you could change the storage controller from B120i to AHCI.  

JackoUK

Best practice of course if you can update to the latest firmware ...

… though I never bother unless there is a blocking fault.

Good luck with finding your license.

Certainly worth spending anew (if reluctantly) to get an ML10 v2 working again!

Suspect there would be no shortage of offers for a nearly-new ML10 at a decent 2nd hand price!!

When I started up my DELL workstation for the first time I found only 1 of the 2 network ports working.

As it turned out 1 was deliberately disabled in the BIOS - just needed to be re-enabled!

Thankfully DELL does not use the despised HP BIOS licensing  method and provides a Windows utility for BIOS updates.

In the interests of getting something going … why not try to install Windows 10 as a starter?

Download W10 from another PC (I am assuming you have another Windows PC) using the media creation facility at

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

to a USB drive.

Mount the drive. Copy in the B120i storage controller driver files.

Boot to USB, load the B120i driver, and install W10 from there.

If I remember correctly one can install a copy of W10 without license or activation.

Obviously there will be restrictions … but at least you'll know you are in business.

Can't help with server stuff … never needed anything that W10Pro cannot do.

scottavery

Thanks, Windows 10 is not the worst idea.  I should be able to transfer a license off some other aged hardware.  I did boot the ML10 and I had indeed installed Hyper-V Server 2012, but I don't know that I ever actually managed to load any images into VMs.  No loss to overwrite that.

The NICs looked active in the bios, so not sure there.  Not that I can recall why I thought one was disabled to begin with - must be the notice that comes up when you login into hyper-v server locally. I do notice there are IRQ conflicts but I don't suppose those matter anymore.

Do I need to install a proper video card in the ML10 if using windows 10?

Should I have a preference between internal hard drives and external enclosures for my storage spaces media?  I have a couple 10TB WD externals that can be shucked down to the red nas drives inside.

Thanks!  going to figure out if I have a transferrable Windows 10 license.

JackoUK
Posted (edited)

If you have the Intel i3 variant then Intel graphics is on-chip, if you have the nicer XEON variant then you will have integrated Matrox G200.

It looks to me like the ML10 uses LFF = 2.5" HDD's … which are more expensive than 3.5" and limited in capacity to 4TB.

Since you have 2 lovely external 10TB drives I'd keep them (though I don't know what else you have up your sleeve) attached to your two USB 3.0 ports.

I'd be looking for a small (even down to 256GB), cheap SSD to put in one of the LFF bays as a boot drive. That will give you fast boot up, good work-in-progress speed and reasonable speed for any VM's you create (W10 has Hyper-V and the new sandbox feature but it has to be the Pro version).

I wouldn't use Storage Spaces with only 2 drives: use 1 drive for data and the other as a backup device. Take advantage of the externality and keep the backup in the garage or some such.

Gotta check the above in the QuickSpec for your machine:

- graphics within

- LFF = 2.5" low capacity disks

- USB 3.0 (not 2.0 which would be waaaay toooo sloooow)

- W10Pro has enough virtualisation for you (and of course you could then Remote Desktop in)

then you're good.

And I think you can try W10 Pro without a license as a 'look-see' before committing cash later.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Edited by JackoUK

scottavery

I think I have 4x3.5 bays and 2x5.25 bays.  I think I have a 1TB WD Black drive in there for O/S but I didn't go into the storage controller to inspect it.  You make a good point about a movable external for backups.  I could then use the internal bays for the 3tb drives in the old WHS box.

Originally I wanted the hypervisor layer first because WHS 2011 is limited to 8GB RAM, so I needed that to go in a VM in another OS.

My O/S donor box is so old the cmos battery was probably dead, and it would not boot.  Hung waiting for input from a PS/2 keyboard, which I no longer own.  Going to have to find a dongle, or figure out how to identify the key on that old IDE drive another way.

JackoUK

Aha - forgot about those 2 x 5.25 bays.

Many on this forum have had good results with ICYDOCK products.

If you are prepared to spend a little you can buy fittings to turn a 5.25 bay into a 4 x 2.5 bay … and similar.

Providing you have the SATA ports on the motherboard (or buy a PCI SATA disk controller) you can play all sorts of tricks.

schoondoggy

The video on the ML10v2 is Matrox G200 regardless of the CPU. There are drivers that work with Windows 10.

You can add a graphics card if you need better graphics.

I believe the ML10v2 came with non-swappable or  swappable (backplane) 3.5" drive bays.

The only issue you may have with 'shucking' the 10TB drives is the '3.3v sensing pin' issue;

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Fix-the-33V-Pin-Issue-in-White-Label-Disks-/ 

scottavery

Thank you both for the great suggestions.  I am just going to keep asking questions, if you don't mind.

First, update: 

The machine I thought was my OS donor was actually an older box that was waiting to be wiped and recycled.  The donor box has a digital entitlement so I am assuming it will just activate on the ML10 when I install there.  Debating whether I want to try a Hyper-V Server 2019 install first or just load win10 as the host layer.   It would probably be more for an educational tool than serving a purpose, unless perhaps there is no way to manage win10 headless.

I also found the unopened ILO Advanced license envelope in the box as well. I got it from a 3rd party off Amazon back in 2015.  Not sure if it will work, or even be needed.

Question:

I have 2 8 GB memory modules in it now, not HP, so not SmartMemory, but it works.  I have available 2 x 2GB HP memory and the original 1x 4GB HP memory.  I had bought the 2x2GB assuming that the box was going to come with the same, not a single 4GB module.    I currently have both 8 GBs on the same memory channel (adjacent slots), which confused me as I thought I'd have placed them in color matched slots, one on each channel.  What would be optimal use of these available modules?    One 8 on each channel?  both 8s on same channel?  8s on a channel and both 2s on other channel?  Sell/trade the genuine HP for larger aftermarkets?

scottavery

Hmm, can't edit that.  Per Tom's I guess I should have indeed split it by channel and go with 8-2-8-2