RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Rodf

Want suggestions as to how to watch with old tech

Rodf

I'm not really sure where to post this question. This forum seemed the best I could find, but if it should be somewhere else, please forgive me for putting it here.

Here's the situation. I used to have an excellent sound system by Onyko. I loved that system. It has 4 HDMI ports, which worked out well, because I could plug in a Blu-ray player, my Roku and a VHS player/recorder (yes, I've got one of those). And still had a spare HDMI, if I needed it. Well, after a good 10 years service, my Onyko finally gave out. And at the moment I just can't afford the replacement Onyko system. However, we really do need something Right now I've got a Vizio TV with only 2 HDMI ports, which hurts us a lot. We do have a fairly large collection of VHS tapes of some of our favorite shows, such as classic Doctor Who. If you've ever priced the cost of a Doctor Who DVD of the classic series (assuming its available on DVD or Blu-ray) you know they come at a premium price. Again, it just isn't something I can afford. Right now we're having to do a lot of finagling in order to try to watch something and often not able to watch what we want to watch. I thought about a Samsung system which is more in my price range (Samsung HW-R60C 41.7" 3.1 Channel Soundbar with Wireless Subwoofer) which I saw at Costco. However, I couldn't see the back of it. I talked to a guy there, but he couldn't move it. He said it doesn't have a HDMI port, but does have some other sort of cable that the TV is supposed to plug into. Sounds like it would certainly improve the sound, which is good and would be appreciated, but that's about it. Assuming it would even work with my Vizio TV. 

Bottom line, anything that cost me $500 it out of the question. Even $400 is not within my budget. $300 is as high as I can go.

What options are there? 

• Like 1

schoondoggy

What model is the Onkyo?

Check Craigslist there are a lot of used AV receivers on CL.

Are you sure the VHS player is HDMI? I don't think I have see VHS with a HDMI connection. What brand and model is the VHS. If it is component connections, you should be able to connect it and the other two devices directly to the TV for now. 

Rodf

Schoondoggy, I'm sure that the VHS was connected to the Onyko with HDMI. It was a bit odd, but it was. It is a duel VHS/DVD player, so Panasonic may have decided to allow for higher fidelity visual/audio for DVD's. But you've got a great idea. I might be able to connect it to the TV using other cables.

Guess I could try Craigslist. I actually dread using it. Seems like whenever I do I get the most vulgar and disgusting responses. And I've learned that complaining to anyone with Craigslist is a useless endeavor. 

schoondoggy

You could also try eBay and just search locally for a receiver.

You could get a new Onkyo AV receiver for $212:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/onkyo-tx-5-2-ch-4k-ultra-hd-and-3d-pass-through-hdr-compatible-a-v-home-theater-receiver-black/5754933.p?skuId=5754933 

Short term you could get a HDMI switch to have everything connected to it. 5 port HDMI switches are under $30:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=5+port+hdmi+switch&crid=3MBLEGIKPAKQ3&sprefix=5+port+hdmi%2Caps%2C173&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_11

Al_Borges

A buddy , who is not into tech stuff, was in the same position. He manually unplugged his xbox 360 from his tv when he played a dvd. He thanked me profusely when i gave him an hdmi extension cable so he didnt have to reach behind to swap

Like others have said. Check the used market. Lots of usable hdmi equipped recievers are being replaced because we want the latest hdr compatiple hdmi equipped sets

• Thanks 1