RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Rudy 121

Running Windows on HPE Proliant Microserver 10?

Rudy 121

I need a small home server for a very small situation.  I have found the Windows Server 2012r2 Essentials way above my pay-grade and need.  My fallback was to use the server hardware with Win8 or Win 10.  I was going to use Storage Spaces and run a nice little home server on the machine.  I just found out, from the HP Bangalore support, my HPE Proliant Microserver Gen10 will not boot if the Marwell RAID is not enabled and a server operating system is not used.   Can anyone tell me if the information is correct?  Were the older generations of the Micro Server restricted to strictly server operating systems like mine seems to be?.  Is anyone running recent Windows (8 or 10) on the Gen 10?  Is there some workaround available?  Your advice would be appreciated.

schoondoggy

I have run Windows 10 on a MicroServer Gen10, with and without the Marvell RAID enabled. I think the Support team has made a mistake. I generally load the OS on a SSD on the ODD SATA port and configure the other four drives as needed.

Rudy 121

Schoondoggy and npapanik,

Gentlemen, thanks for your reply.  The HPE website confirms what you both wrote.  My server is brand new and stock.  I was unable to boot and install from Win 8.1 USB.  I cannot get set the boot order set up to the USB. Any idea how to get the 8.1 to boot and install.  I do not want to use the Marvell.

Thanks

schoondoggy

How is your server configured with drives? If you are trying to install to a SSD on the ODD SATA port, I would have it be the only drive in the server while you are installing the OS. Marvell is the manufacturer of the SATA/RAID controller for the four drives in the front bay. You just need to be sure it is set to AHCI in the BIOS. If you are still having issues, you could try changing the BIOS from UEFI to Legacy.

Rudy 121

Hi Schoondoggy

Thank you for your kind help and advice.

I am now using mix of 1TB and 2TB drives in the four slots.

I want to confirm the HP Proliant Microserver Gen 10 boot from SSD connected to SATA5 in the DVD bay on the top?  Are there any additional  requirements to make the boot happen?  Will I gain speed and improve access time if I put the OS on SSD.  The data would be on regular high capacity Legacy drives.

I have set the BIOS to Legacy, UEFI with CFM disabled.  Selecting UEFI  brings me in a Powershell dialog. 

The Microserver BIOS does not mention AHCI.  Could that be part of the Marvell controller setup?   Does it make sense to enable the Marvell controller and enable the UEFI in the windows set-up?

Apologies for all these questions.

Regards

schoondoggy

Is the server booting to the USB drive that you have Windows 8.1 on? Have you tried changing the BIOS to Legacy boot instead of UEFI? In Legacy boot you should see a boot menu. Running the OS from a SSD would improve the performance of the server. Access time can be dependent on drive performance. The server will respond more quickly with the OS on a SSD. The speed of accessing files on the data drives is dependent on the speed of those drives.

Rudy 121

I have had a drive with installed Win 10pro handy and just put it in the slot one for testing.  It came up on Legacy boot and so far works fine.  I created storage space and will see how the network runs.  I ran the original HP WHS until a few months ago.  It was great until it broke.  The file server approach will require more work to setup and use.  If my kludge system looks promising I will get a boot SSD and new drives.  I wonder if anyone ever came up with a client Connector that would work with Win8 or Win10.  Something like WHS 1 and WS2012R2 have. 

Thanks again for your help.

Rudy 121

Hi, I hate to bother you but it looks like I ran in one of the Microsoft features designed to prevent the owner from using his own workstation.  Over time I have tried many approaches suggested on the Webb but non worked. You are a very knowledgeable guy and just in case you may have come across that in the past.2019-07-29_19-58-01.jpg.430be31e7535e109c13f0b666609e5ae.jpg

The above is what shows up when trying to connect to the c:\ drive of a workstation by the server and other workstations. An USB drive shared from the offending workstation shows correctly.

Thanks again.

schoondoggy

Generally, when you get these errors it is related to permission. The workstation that has the drive you are trying to access needs to give permission to access it. You need to log into the workstation and allow the  drive to be shared. Depending on how the OS was installed you may need to log in as Admin to make the changes. What OS is on the workstation?