RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
callihan44

Ransomware attack plan

callihan44

wondering what other people are doing to protect data, our cad -graphics processor software provider sent out a bulletin that said they are getting reports of 2-3 customers every week getting hit with ransomware attacks locking all their data up on their network servers. I do cloud and local backups, I increased our email security and im contemplating either getting another server setup to be ready to go then keeping it off the network  in case we get hit or just getting a NAS and dumping files and databases on them then taking it offline if Im ever forced to redo the servers...

schoondoggy

Great topic and great timing! I think you are hitting on the major issue with ransomware attacks today, network or cloud drives. Ransomware is smart enough to encrypt all drives mapped and active. New ransomware variants seem to be able to attack cloud services as well. It is cumbersome, but I have gone back to manually backing up for the few PC's I have. That way I can connect to the network drive, backup data, disconnect from the network drive. Although unpractical, connecting a USB drive, backing up and disconnecting the USB drive may be one of the best/simplest ways to keep backups safe from ransomware. It has been a long time since I investigated backup software features, it may be a good time to review. Have any backup products built in a connect/disconnect function into their backup routine? It seems like QNAP had done something? For cloud services, has anyone added features to isolate your cloud backup from ransomware?

Enterprise IT departments tend to rely on snapshot or point in time copy technology to save themselves from ransomware attacks. 

callihan44
14 minutes ago, schoondoggy said:

Great topic and great timing! I think you are hitting on the major issue with ransomware attacks today, network or cloud drives. Ransomware is smart enough to encrypt all drives mapped and active. New ransomware variants seem to be able to attack cloud services as well. It is cumbersome, but I have gone back to manually backing up for the few PC's I have. That way I can connect to the network drive, backup data, disconnect from the network drive. Although unpractical, connecting a USB drive, backing up and disconnecting the USB drive may be one of the best/simplest ways to keep backups safe from ransomware. It has been a long time since I investigated backup software features, it may be a good time to review. Have any backup products built in a connect/disconnect function into their backup routine? It seems like QNAP had done something? For cloud services, has anyone added features to isolate your cloud backup from ransomware?

Enterprise IT departments tend to rely on snapshot or point in time copy technology to save themselves from ransomware attacks. 

our cloud backup does snapshots-archiving however I dont trust cloud backup 100%, Ive already had an issue with restoring an adobe illustrator file that somehow got corrupted during the transfer...I always have local backup copy , and frankly it's faster to retrieve locally 

schoondoggy

Recovery from the cloud can be painful. There is a growing number of IT solutions that consist of a local appliance for backup and recovery and cloud management. Sorry for the name drop, but Rubrik.com is a very complete solution. Storagecraft.com is another. Veeam software has built out their replication and cloud management functionality as well. Didn't mean this to be a commercial, but there are many new solutions out there to mitigate risk of ransomware.