RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Ncage1974

Water Leak Sensor?

nrf
Posted (edited)

So they say when setting up the water sensor that it needs to be within 15 feet of the hub. what is the general distance these sensors can cover and still stay reliably connected? would I have to set up an array of zigbee repeaters?

and how dependent is this setup on internet connectivity? if there is no internet can I still get alerts if I am on the same wifi as the sensor?

Edited by nrf

nrf

which leads me to ask, how about a smartthings sensor + hubitat for those inclined to reduce dependencies on vendor cloud services?

nrf

so do these hubs play nice with other vendors'sensors?

nrf
19 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

If I was buying a water sensor today, I think I would get one of these:

is this recommendation based on the company's reputation for reliability, interoperability, etc? do tell..

schoondoggy
7 minutes ago, nrf said:

is this recommendation based on the company's reputation for reliability, interoperability, etc? do tell..

It is not a recommendation, I have not tried this model. I have had very good luck with Aeotec products working with SmartThings. Aeotec Zwave devices seem to behave well with other Zwave devices. Aeotec devices do what they are supposed to do, reliably.

21 hours ago, Ncage1974 said:

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I decided to go the samsung smartthings route. I found a decent deal for the hub on ebay ~$30 for a V3 Hub. The main reason i decided to decided to go the smartthings route is the water sensors are extremely cheap at $20 a pop. I only planned to use one initially for my sump pump but when they are so cheap why not add more right (water heater, toilet, sinks, bathroom, shower, ect...). The only thing i wish the sensors had is that lead that you run from the sensor to wherever you want but i'm sure they will be great how they are. Since i never used SmartThings i hope i don't have any issues with reach. I have a 2800 sq ft 2 story home. Don't know how well the protocols used by smartthings penatrate the walls. Hopefully better than standard wifi :).

Thanks for the reminder that the SmartThings sensors are only $20. I just picked one up to try it out.