RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Ncage1974

Water Leak Sensor?

Ncage1974

Hi guys. Just had a significant basement flood last week (sump pump pit). I have to put in new flooring and am going to have a water powered backup sump pump put in. i want to make sure this never happens again so i'm going to put in a water leak sensor. I want one that will notify me by text, email, and notification (app) just in case i'm not home and also has an audible alarm. At first i was looking at the ring system leak sensor until i found out you have to have their alarm system which i don't want. Honestly most of the ones have looked at don't review that great. I guess my options are to go with either a sensor that has wifi built in or i have to buy a samsung smarthub & add their water sensors. Any recommendations on the direction you would go. If you have a specific model you would recommend please let me know. Not that interested in home automation so if i end up getting a samsumg smart hub it will be the only thing i will use it for but my main thing is i want something REALLY reliable. Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks...

nrf

I had two feet of water in my basement too. So I"m interested in this topic as well.

Al_Borges
Hi guys. Just had a significant basement flood last week (sump pump pit). I have to put in new flooring and am going to have a water powered backup sump pump put in. i want to make sure this never happens again so i'm going to put in a water leak sensor. I want one that will notify me by text, email, and notification (app) just in case i'm not home and also has an audible alarm. At first i was looking at the ring system leak sensor until i found out you have to have their alarm system which i don't want. Honestly most of the ones have looked at don't review that great. I guess my options are to go with either a sensor that has wifi built in or i have to buy a samsung smarthub & add their water sensors. Any recommendations on the direction you would go. If you have a specific model you would recommend please let me know. Not that interested in home automation so if i end up getting a samsumg smart hub it will be the only thing i will use it for but my main thing is i want something REALLY reliable. Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks...
For the last 5 years or so, I've used a standalone dlink water sensor and very pleased

DCH-S160
http://us.dlink.com/products/connected-home/wi-fi-water-sensor

I've set it up to both text and email me if it detects a leak.

My sump is 4 feet from my water heater in the basement. 2 years ago my water heater started leaking and it did detect and notify me. I was able to shut off the water within a half hour or so .

Part of my "Super Bowl weekend " includes testing both my sump system and the leak detector so I know it working for the spring rains. it's always worked like a charm

Before that I had a insteon based hub setup. Kinda soured on hub based automation as unreliable and complex.

nrf
Posted (edited)

thanks, I will look at that. the water heater part goes both ways - most new gas heaters will commit suicide if they get wet, in the name of protecting dummies who store gasoline in their basement. and water inside of a modern electric water heater (usually only happens if it gets up the the level of the lower burner) causes trouble as well - how do you get the insulation inside dry...

good to see it does not need a subscription. hopefully your phone doesn't have to be on the wifi for it to notify you

Edited by nrf

Ncage1974
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Al_Borges said:

For the last 5 years or so, I've used a standalone dlink water sensor and very pleased

DCH-S160
http://us.dlink.com/products/connected-home/wi-fi-water-sensor

I've set it up to both text and email me if it detects a leak.

My sump is 4 feet from my water heater in the basement. 2 years ago my water heater started leaking and it did detect and notify me. I was able to shut off the water within a half hour or so .

Part of my "Super Bowl weekend " includes testing both my sump system and the leak detector so I know it working for the spring rains. it's always worked like a charm

Before that I had a insteon based hub setup. Kinda soured on hub based automation as unreliable and complex.

Thanks for the reply. Definitely looks like a nice sensor but a little bit on the pricey side. I can get a samsung hub & water sensor for around $80 and this sensor is ~$140. They do have a newer model that is cheaper (DCH-S161-US) but I don't know if its as good or not. At least the amazon ratings are not the best.

Edited by Ncage1974

nrf

well I dipped into the reviews on both the dlink models, not too confident. probably too important a function to go "cheap" on. in the scenario of power loss -> sump pump and network both disabled -> bad news when you get back, I'm not too confident. For the case where I am at home (most of the time one of us is anyway) I think a remote siren would be good as part of the solution.

anyone else have a carrots for the soup?

schoondoggy

I use SmartThings for a hub, so all of my sensors run through that. The waste water line from our house has a tree growing over it. Roots grow through the line and we need to clear it, generally ever 18 months. If it backs up, the floor drain in the basement gets wet. I have a Aeon labs Aeotec water sensor mounted on the wall with the probe mounted on the grate over the drain. It works very well. For my sump pump I have a similar sensor to the Aeon, it is a Everspring water detector:

https://www.smartthings.com/products/everspring-water-detector

It works well for triggering, but does not reset well, you need to dry it off. Under the water heater, I have a FortrezZ FTS05US Z-Wave Plus Flood & Temperature Sensor:

https://www.fortrezz.com/sensors/

Under the kitchen sink I have a SmartThings water sensor:

https://www.smartthings.com/products/smartthings-water-leak-sensor

About nine months ago I as driving my wife to work. The SmartThings App on my phone let me know the floor drain in the basement was wet. I was able to call my daughter to have her verify there was water around the basement drain. Also, keeping her from taking a shower that would have made the issue worse. Three months ago, while I was working in California, SmartThings app let me know the water sensor under the water heater was wet. Had my wife confirm, water heater was leaking and needed to be replaced. Ten days ago I was working back in California, I live in Minnesota, SmartThings App let me know the water sensor under the kitchen sink was wet. Wife confirmed and put a bucket under the garbage disposal. Water was leaking from the disposal drain line. Fixed it with a new gasket. SmartThings and water sensors have saved me a lot of issues.  

• Like 1

Dave

I had the D-Link sensors a few years ago but can't say that I can recommend now as it has been years since I've touched them.

SmartThings saved my kitchen sink cabinet and I have a sensor under most all of our sinks, and basement.  What everyone has said is true. Keep the network up and running in order for it to all work.  Everything I own is on battery. All wifi, the router, the cable modem. And of course the ST hub.

This is a slippery slope for a new user though.  You can do A LOT with SmartThings. It will lead to more purchases.  One I recommend is a camera.  It's nice to be able to pop into a room and take a look around.  My sump pump and ejection pump have a camera on them.

ST just released a camera too.  https://www.smartthings.com/gb/products/smartthings-camera Best Buy had a nice deal on a two pack.

Al_Borges

Yea,  the model I referenced is has been discontinued and replaced with a newer one

People try to sell "new" old stock at exorbitant pricing  -   the new device is going for $50 at Amazon and best buy , which is about what I paid for mine

Good comments from all -  especially having a UPS on your wifi, if you are using it for alerts

Ncage1974
Posted (edited)

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I decided to go the samsung smartthings route. I found a decent deal for the hub on ebay ~$30 for a V3 Hub. The main reason i decided to decided to go the smartthings route is the water sensors are extremely cheap at $20 a pop. I only planned to use one initially for my sump pump but when they are so cheap why not add more right (water heater, toilet, sinks, bathroom, shower, ect...). The only thing i wish the sensors had is that lead that you run from the sensor to wherever you want but i'm sure they will be great how they are. Since i never used SmartThings i hope i don't have any issues with reach. I have a 2800 sq ft 2 story home. Don't know how well the protocols used by smartthings penatrate the walls. Hopefully better than standard wifi :).

Edited by Ncage1974