RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
AlanC

Clone HDD to SSD

AlanC

Hi,

I have an HP Gen 8 Microserver which is running ESXI 6.5 with a couple of VM's.  it has a single 2TB HDD with ESXI installed on it and the VM's.  The HDD is connected via the B120i controlled in a RAID 0 config.

I wanted to give it a bit of a performance boost by upgrading to an SSD.  I disconnected the HDD and connected it to my desktop, along with the new SSD and cloned the HDD to the SSD using Acronis True Image.

When I plug in the SSD and boot, it reports that there is no array configured, so I create a RAID 0 array using the new SSD and set it to bootable.  When I reboot, it recognizes the array but then reports "attempting boot from hard drive c:" and then moves on to trying to boot via the NIC.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

Alan

schoondoggy

I think you have to do a bit for bit copy to pickup the metadata.

AlanC

I tried Macrium Reflect yesterday as it has been recommended a few times on this forum.  Unfortunately, I had the same problem.

I guess it looks like I have to do a clean install.

Thanks

Alan

Trig0r

You can get externally 3.5" drive bay tray/boxes that have clone buttons on them, no OS required, plug drive in, press button, job done...

AlanC

The apps that I have tried "appear" to be cloning the drive, but when I try and boot, it reports as not bootable.  I then go into the config for the B120i and set it as bootable.  This gets rid of the error but it then reports it cannot find the C drive to boot from.

I have "bitten the bullet" and set it to AHCI mode and performed a clean install of ESXi 6.7 and moved one of the Windows 7 VM's that I have onto it.

This is what I get from CrystalMark against the new SSD (Samsung 860 QVO SATA III 2TB).

speed.JPG.19c03d6db898362873cdbd795bd87012.JPG

Does that look reasonable?

Thanks

Alan

schoondoggy
On 6/29/2019 at 10:03 AM, AlanC said:

The apps that I have tried "appear" to be cloning the drive, but when I try and boot, it reports as not bootable.  I then go into the config for the B120i and set it as bootable.  This gets rid of the error but it then reports it cannot find the C drive to boot from.

I have "bitten the bullet" and set it to AHCI mode and performed a clean install of ESXi 6.7 and moved one of the Windows 7 VM's that I have onto it.

This is what I get from CrystalMark against the new SSD (Samsung 860 QVO SATA III 2TB).

speed.JPG.19c03d6db898362873cdbd795bd87012.JPG

Does that look reasonable?

Thanks

Alan

Read speed looks good, but the write is very slow. QLC SSDs can have slow writes, it could be the block size tested.

nrf

yet even the slowest SSD is still a great improvement over rust drives