RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
flipper

Proxmox LSI SAS card passthrough error

flipper
Posted (edited)

Hello,

I am trying to passthrough my LSI SAS9211-4i PCIE card to a VM on my brand new proxmox installation. I followed the official guide https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Pci_passthrough

Everything is going well until I try to start the VM, I get the foillowing error and the VM don't boot:

Virtual Environment 5.4-6
    Virtual Machine 103 (2pFreenas) on node 'pve'
    Logs
    ()
    kvm: -device vfio-pci,host=07:00.0,id=hostpci0,bus=ich9-pcie-port-1,addr=0x0: vfio error: 0000:07:00.0: failed to setup container for group 1: failed to set iommu for container: Operation not permitted
    TASK ERROR: start failed: command '/usr/bin/kvm -id 103 -name 2pFreenas -chardev 'socket,id=qmp,path=/var/run/qemu-server/103.qmp,server,nowait' -mon 'chardev=qmp,mode=control' -chardev 'socket,id=qmp-event,path=/var/run/qmeventd.sock,reconnect=5' -mon 'chardev=qmp-event,mode=control' -pidfile /var/run/qemu-server/103.pid -daemonize -smbios 'type=1,uuid=0c2366f3-9576-45ce-9f92-508441ea3ed5' -smp '2,sockets=1,cores=2,maxcpus=2' -nodefaults -boot 'menu=on,strict=on,reboot-timeout=1000,splash=/usr/share/qemu-server/bootsplash.jpg' -vnc unix:/var/run/qemu-server/103.vnc,x509,password -cpu kvm64,+lahf_lm,+sep,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,enforce -m 10192 -device 'vmgenid,guid=06ceb1f6-d7db-4cec-9025-d70335dbe1b2' -readconfig /usr/share/qemu-server/pve-q35.cfg -device 'usb-tablet,id=tablet,bus=ehci.0,port=1' -device 'vfio-pci,host=07:00.0,id=hostpci0,bus=ich9-pcie-port-1,addr=0x0' -device 'VGA,id=vga,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1' -device 'virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x3' -iscsi 'initiator-name=iqn.1993-08.org.debian:01:a95eca963df1' -device 'virtio-scsi-pci,id=scsihw0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x5' -drive 'file=/dev/zvol/rpool/data/vm-103-disk-0,if=none,id=drive-scsi0,format=raw,cache=none,aio=native,detect-zeroes=on' -device 'scsi-hd,bus=scsihw0.0,channel=0,scsi-id=0,lun=0,drive=drive-scsi0,id=scsi0,bootindex=100' -netdev 'type=tap,id=net0,ifname=tap103i0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge,downscript=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridgedown,vhost=on' -device 'virtio-net-pci,mac=4E:77:B9:7A:E5:19,netdev=net0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x12,id=net0,bootindex=300' -machine 'type=q35'' failed: exit code 1

If I add the following option driver=vfio  for the hostpci0, the VM starts but I get the followwing problem:

vm 103 - unable to parse value of 'hostpci0' - format error
    driver: property is not defined in schema and the schema does not allow additional properties

Edited by flipper

schoondoggy

How do you have your drives configured? What ports are they on?

flipper

I have 2 ssd connected on the HP inside bay connector and then 4 drives to manage the storage connected to the SAS card. Proxmox is installed on the ssd in the zfs mirror. I want two pass the pci card to a vm to manage storage

flipper
Didn't you manage to do this kind of pass-through?

schoondoggy
8 hours ago, flipper said:
On 6/21/2019 at 3:29 PM, schoondoggy said:

Didn't you manage to do this kind of pass-through?

I have on ESXi, I dont recall trying it on Proxmox.

Have you posted this issue in the Proxmox forum?

flipper

I posted on the proxmox forum....

Did anyone here managed to do PCIe passthrough with Proxmox and gen8 microserver ?