RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Flashing LSI SAS9211-8i card on HPMSG8?

Mark Belanger

Greetings,

I'm new to the HPMSG8 world and so far I'm loving it. I have a stock Xeon with 16G of aftermarket memory with iLO patched to 2.70. Next up is adding a RAID card, so I can put my boot SSD on the onboard RAID. I picked up a LSI SAS9211-8i on Amazon, but am struggling to flash it to IT mode on the MicroServer. Is this even possible? Unfortunately, the only other system I have with PCI slots is 32-bit.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

-MB

Primarily, the method using rEFInd, but that didn't go anywhere. The method was the next approach I was going to try, but I must confess that I'm out of depth with such low-level work.

-MB

9 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

The second link is the route I tend to use.

How are you going to use the 9211? RAID or HBA?

HBA was my thought. I actually found a write up that spells out the MS-DOS approach even better:

<https://nguvu.org/freenas/Convert-LSI-HBA-card-to-IT-mode/>

What do you think? Will this work on a HPMSG8?

Thanks again,

MB

22 hours ago, Mark Belanger said:

HBA was my thought. I actually found a write up that spells out the MS-DOS approach even better:

<https://nguvu.org/freenas/Convert-LSI-HBA-card-to-IT-mode/>

What do you think? Will this work on a HPMSG8?

Thanks again,

MB

The process detailed in the above URL worked like a charm on my HPMSG8. It would have been nice to avoid having to use Windows, but a few minutes booting up my W10P VM to prepare the USB stick didn't hurt too badly...

FWIW,

-MB

• Like 1

That process should work as well.
I think there are certain BIOS versions that cause NMI issues with LSI controllers. Search the forums from NMI issues.