RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
matf

WD MyBook 10TB - Keep as external or Shuck?

matf
Posted (edited)

Hi,

I have a 3 x 4TB drives in my gen 8, as JBOD, which I've pooled using Stablebit DrivePool (Win 10 as OS on an SSD). I've just picked up a 10 TB WD MyBook which I want to use to enable folder duplication within stablebit. But not sure what the best way to use it is:

1) Remove the 10TB drive and stick it in the spare caddy in the gen 8, add to the drivepool, and then duplicate. This is probably the best solution, but the con is that I am incredibly clumsy and likely to break something. I've also read somethign about a 3.3v issue which I confess I don't understand.

2) Keep the drive in the mybook, add to the pool as an external HDD, and duplicate using stablebit. Not sure about performance (not that it's a huge deal), or what might happen if the USB drops connection and I risk losing data.

3) Keep the drive in the mybook, add as an external HDD, don't add to the pool, just use something like synctoy to create a duplicate of the data on the 3 x 4TBs.

Can anyone suggest pros/cons/best outcome?

(Oh, I realise I won't be able to duplicate 12 TB Gen 8 with 10 TB HDD  - but the drives are only half-full!)

Edited by matf

nrf

what is this pin you speak of?

schoondoggy
3 hours ago, peteb99 said:

I've got one of these drives when they were on Amazon for £153.99.

If it is this one :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CRZK9BX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then you don't need to cover the pin on the Gen 8,   it worked fine for me without touching it.

I tried one in a MS Gen10 and it worked fine without needing the 3.3v mod.

1 hour ago, nrf said:

what is this pin you speak of?

https://www.servethehome.com/wd-wd100emaz-easystore-10tb-external-backup-drive-review/

• Like 1

JackoUK
Posted (edited)

Your present configuration appears to have no protection from accidental file deletion or the GEN8 (even house!) going up in smoke.

A variant of (3) worth considering is to enable Windows File History using the external 10TB drive as a target.

Pros:

- FH is part of Windows and thus free

- designed to interwork with external drives

- has scheduling capabilities built in e.g. backup every hour, day, week, ...

- allows restoration of all versions of files

-  the external drive is easily detachable and could be stored in another location

If you don't like FH then other backup programs are available.

I have found the 2 x USB 3.0 ports on the GEN8  very useful for connecting external drives (if a little messy in terms of power plugs and cabling). The thing is one is always looking to change disk sizes as time goes by … and being able to change out failed/small disks of main storage independently from backups is very convenient. Once you go to RAID there is a certain loss of flexibility with disk sizes and multiples. 

Edited by JackoUK

matf

The good news is that it's the same WD enclosure as mentioned above - couldn't resist at the price. Perhaps not safe to assume it's the same HDD as I imagine WD makes them with whatever they have to hand! - Schoondoggy/peteb99, can you recall the model of the HDD you had?

JackoUK - that's a good point. Messiness isn't a huge issue - you should see the rest of my house! But I hadn't thought of using Windows File History. And I do see advantages in having an external removable drive, that is completely separate from the pool (especially if the pool were ever to fail etc.). Hmm. 

Food for thought - thanks guys.

schoondoggy
The good news is that it's the same WD enclosure as mentioned above - couldn't resist at the price. Perhaps not safe to assume it's the same HDD as I imagine WD makes them with whatever they have to hand! - Schoondoggy/peteb99, can you recall the model of the HDD you had?

JackoUK - that's a good point. Messiness isn't a huge issue - you should see the rest of my house! But I hadn't thought of using Windows File History. And I do see advantages in having an external removable drive, that is completely separate from the pool (especially if the pool were ever to fail etc.). Hmm. 

I believe it was a WD100EMAZ.

peteb99
8 hours ago, matf said:

Hi matf,

I've just checked mine and it is slightly different to Schoondoggy.    It is a WD100EZAZ.

I noticed that Shonk has two of the same drives as me in the following thread.  He says they work fine as well and doesn't mention having to do anything to the Gen 8 for them to work:

https://homeservershow.com/forums/topic/10329-update-on-my-gen-8/page/6/

• Like 1

matf

Thanks both. I think I'll just use as external for now - maybe I'll buy another for internal use!