RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
aholmes

Moving my server to the garage

aholmes
Posted (edited)

Hi all,

I am building a new wooden 'man cave' which is detached from my house and I need some advice on networking please.

Server in man cave:       HP Gen8 DL360p with an HP Ethernet 10GB 2P 530FLR-SFP+ Adapter and dual HP SFP+ modules

NAS in house:                  HP Gen8 microserver fully pimped xeon/ram/ssd/4*4Tb Red drives and pcie nvme.

OS:                                       Currently proxmox with quite a few VM's and LXD's (may flip to esxi for learning purposes at some point)

Switch in house:             Cisco SG350-10 8 port with dual RJ45/SFP combo ports (1Gb)

Required connectivity: 1*RJ45 cat6 ethernet cable  for ILOM plus 1* fibre connection for NAS connectivity and 1* fibre connection for service vlans

Cable run:                          25mm flexible trunking buried 100mm beneath concrete channel cut in tarmac driveway approx 10m from server to switch.

I know I can only attain 1Gb speed maximum with this configuration as the SFP+ modules should auto-negotiate down to 1Gb, however 10Gb SFP+ switches are soon going to be affordable for home use so im trying to future proof the connectivity and some day allow the server to use the NAS for all boot/storage.

My knowledge is weak on networking and near zero for SFP, I *think* I just need cables and 2* SFP cisco modules for the switch.    cat6 cable I can get from work but im not sure which fibres I need, maybe these would suffice?  and this for the trunking

I will of course ensure I include pull through string just in case any cables need replacing and also ensure everything is waterproof.

Do you think I have everything covered please or suggest a better way of doing things??

Edited by aholmes

ShadowPeo

Unfortunately its not that simple, I mean it can be but fibre like anything has standards that you need to adhere to or you will get caught out.

Firstly the Cisco SFP units you need to know what standard they are running, there are multiple wavelengths and types for different purposes. The SFP for starters are going to use LC standard connectors, which you are right on for that cable you linked to.

You should also leave a bit more wiggle room as fibre does not like being pulled or bent, I do not know what ratings they have but normally 30cm (1ft) for a 90 degree bend is what we allow when working with the underground cable but that is much thicker than what is at that link.

I also noticed that you selected OM4 that comes back to the point of standards above, OM4 is fine for 10GBE but you need to make sure that you are using Multimode capable SFP's which I cannot check as you have not given the model numbers.

aholmes
Posted (edited)

Hi there, and thanks very much for your response, Is anything in life ever simple ;)

Strangely ive not managed to find any information about the cisco switch, but it is a very basic home/office model.   For the HP card though, ive found a lot more.

HPE LC to LC Multi-mode OM3 2-Fiber 0.5m 1-Pack Fiber Optic Cable (duplex multimode i believe)

the transcievers I have for the HP card are HP AJ718A - 8Gb Short Wave FC SFP+ 1 Pa ( I also have some 1Gb rj45 modules which are working fine at present)

For the cable and bending, I picked out that link as it states it can bend 'better' and as this is in my home I dont really have  the luxury or indeed want to dig big holes in my drive, so im wanting to just cut a 50-100mm slot in the drive for my power and connectivity, i could possibly dig it deeper, maybe 200mm at most.  The heaviest thing going over the cut (filled with couloured concrete to match the driveway) will be my motorbike, so nothing heavy really.  Id imagine 3 90deg bends will be needed in total, and all within 25mm trunking, I can get a few DAC cables from work but the guys say i shouldnt run cat6 cables under ground due to potential earthing issues, hence trying for fibre (im also learning from the experience)!

Edited by aholmes

nrf

ahhh, the famous "Micro trench"!

ShadowPeo

Micro-trench is 20mm is it not? I know its ridiculously small depth.

Yes, do not run 6/6A underground or any copper for that matter unless its proper gel-filled (and that stuff is nasty bloody oozy gel) Fibre should also be underground rated but its less critical at our last property I just ran an indoor one and it was fine for 13 years, (copper shorted out after about 4) also has the benefit of greater longevity due to component upgrades.

When they say duplex they MAY be referring to duplex lights down the same core, but most likely not as that is exotics stuff each core in fibre is simplex, so 2 cores for a full duplex connection, hence the two connectors on the cables.

Those fibre converters are FIBRE CHANNEL NOT FIBER ETHERNET (Confirmed as si googled it but the 8GB statement kind of gave that away), I have never used fibre channel before but I do not believe that you can establish an ethernet connection with them, they are different things and are used for storage. But as I said I have never used fibre channel anything all my stuff has been ethernet based. If you decide to use them let me know how it goes.

Finally, I do not know your regs there but here 100mm is considered enough for a data cable (although often we go much deeper) but the power which you also mentioned is a 600mm minimum to be above board if it's not above board your insurance is automatically void so I would check that. Power can Fibre can share the same conduit but copper cannot, minimum of 100mm separation for noise issues. If you are going to run the cables in the same conduit but not in the same pull, be sure to use cable lube. I mean its a good idea anyway (having said that I rarely do unless I am running multiple thick cables)

Also put a couple of extra stringers in the conduit you will be thankful if you need to pull more cable later. Put in the largest conduit you can as well.

• Like 1