RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
RichE

ODD in Gen8

RichE

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster.

I have a Gen8 Microserver which I am setting up for use as a small homelab. I have an ODD plugged into sata port 5 with the four drive bays going into a P222. The intention is to run ESXI from the internal usb and have some VM's to tinker in Windows, Linux and pfsense (ay least initially). What I need some advice on but have been unable to ascertain from searching the net is whether I should enable the b120i or ahci? If it is the b120i then do I need to set the ODD as a single raid0?

Thanks in advance.

Paulwarwicker

You might find this useful https://www.admfactory.com/hp-microserver-gen8-boot-from-ssd-install-on-odd-bay/

I used to have this setup on my freeNAS Gen8 but I would often find that I had to reset it back up when the boot sector on the SSD was updated. You won't have this issue but the final straw was later versions of grub not recognising the drive. In the end, I ditched using port 5 and bought a USB to SATA cable and used the internal USB connector. Been fine since.

Why boot ESXi from the SSD? It is easier and recommended to boot ESXi from a USB stick. That is what I do for my ESXi Gen8. Then you potentially free up the SSD drive for fast storage as a datastore.

-paul

Misread your OP. You *are* booting from the internal USB not SSD. Article should help.

-paul

RichE

Thanks for taking the time to reply Paul, unfortunately I don't think I explained my question properly. I will be running an actual DVDRW on port 5, not an SSD in the ODD space.