RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
MarkC

HP ML110 Gen9 CPU Tray

MarkC

Hi all,

I recently bought an ML110 gen9 with a quad core E5-1603v3 processor but decided to upgrade to something substantially more powerful (14 core E5-2697 v3). I noticed that comparing both CPUs, the new CPU seems to have a larger footprint than the older one.

The little blue plastic bracket that you slide in to the metal tray of the CPU socket (the tray that swings up when you release the socket levers) does not fit around the newer CPU, so it can't be used. Despite this, I then decided to drop the new CPU directly in to the socket, which fits nice and snugly and seems to secure properly when both levels are closed, all seems to work fine.

My question is, has anyone else experienced this? And would it be problematic to not be using the blue bracket? Am I right to assume the blue bracket is just for convenience and to aid in ensuring the cpu is the right way/correctly centred on the pins? To be honest, I actually found it easier just dropping the CPU directly in to the socket, like I did with my old Microserver gen8!

Thanks,

Mark.

Robertomcat

Hello good day!

I also have the same server.

The same thing happened to me, but I incorporated the E5-2630L V4 processor, and the same question also came up. In my case remove the blue plastic and I left only the processor, and the anchors fastened to the processor firmly and there is no problem. The processor is already two months old and I have not had any problems.

Have you also changed the fan for another one that sells HP for high TDP processors? I am curious about the process, you can inform me of what you are doing. 😊

MarkC

Hello,

Glad to see another fellow ML110 gen9 owner!

I am relieved to not be the only person to have found this! Like you I found the CPU to be fully secure in the socket once the levers were pressed down. Other than positioning the CPU over the socket, I can't really see how it helps. It only attaches to the die covering with thin plastic lugs!

I can't be certain, but I think the machine I bought appears to already have the upgraded CPU fan? Is there any way of telling? It's a delta fan that has quite a bit of depth to it (more so than the front fan) and is very very loud at full spin. The server also came with both large and small black baffles, I am not sure if these are extras?

The server was bought stripped of components other than the CPU from a company that I assume buys liquidated/recycled stock, so the specs of each copy vary. It has 2 x hotplug PSUs and the dedicated ilo card! It's a very nice system. I've bought a P840 RAID card and hoping to experiment mixing drive cages. I already have an 8 SFF cage, but am looking at adding a 4 LFF at the top. Sadly, these cages are ridiculously overpriced, so until I find one reasonably priced I will be holding out. Apparently HP states mixing drive cages isn't allowed, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work!

Robertomcat

Yes, it already has many extras added, the basic server does not have the two redundant sources, neither the fan that you have described that is the big one, nor the iLO module, nor the deflector from the bottom that covers the PCI and that He also carries a dedicated fan.

As for the processor, incorporate it in its correct position and then put the heatsink and there is no problem, the anchors of the processor and then the heatsink press the processor down and it stays well attached.

The cages, I bought one through eBay from a guy from the Czech Republic for € 80, the other I had to buy new and it cost me € 105, both hot-plug.

MarkC

Thanks, I did not know these were extras. I must have gotten lucky with this machine then!

One thing I have noticed is that my memory only seems to run at 1866mhz, despite my both my CPU and memory supporting 2133mhz, there appears to be no way of changing this in the BIOS either. :( 

Robertomcat

If all the RAM modules are equal, and both the processor and the modules work at 2133MHz, I find it very strange that the problem is not that the processor or some memory module does not support the 2133MHz. Investigate it in the technical file, which is also there all the references of compatible or non-server products and their data.

MarkC
Posted (edited)

Yes it is very odd. Looking at the manual, there seems nothing to indicate the memory should run slower than what it is capable of. The processor installed isn’t officially listed as an option in the manual and also my memory is not HP branded, so smartmemory is disabled. Whether this impacts memory speed, I don’t know. All memory modules are identical and all 8 slots are occupied.

The information HP provide on this is vague so it’s difficult to know how or why they are doing this. Without changing out to HP's very restrictive CPU selection, or buying hyper inflated HP memory, it'll be difficult to narrow down.

Edited by MarkC