RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
g725s

my RAID 5 got lost

g725s

I had turned my WHS off for nearly a year.  When I did turn it back on all looked good, till I did a WHS update.

Then my RAID5 partition did not show up in WHS.

However I can see it using disk management

Ideas?

schoondoggy

Was the RAID5 setup on the P410? What disk management can you see it in, Windows or HPE? 

g725s
Posted (edited)
  • Yes it was. 
  • Windows

RAID battery dead, if that matters.

And at this point, I'd almost want to find someone locally, or somewhat locally, who could figure it out and save the data on the drives.  Only important thing are some pictures that I don't have stored anywhere else.

Edited by g725s

ShadowPeo

no idea with your particular controller but in all my experience with PERC's and LSI/3Ware controllers the battery mattered not one bit when it came to data, it was to hold the RAM cache when the power was off but not configuration, I have on many an occasion pulled disks from a dead server putting them onto another RAID card of the same type and had the card read the RAID data, several times even when I did not want it to. I have even had this experience with software RAID types including those used by Windows Dynamic Disks, ReFS and Linux Logical Volume.

From my experience all RAID's both hardware and software based write a config to the disks that are in the raid that any controller that can read and address the disks can read and reconfigure the RAID, it is simply a matter of turning it online

schoondoggy

Have you checked the HPE array manager software to see if there are errors?

g725s
10 hours ago, ShadowPeo said:

no idea with your particular controller but in all my experience with PERC's and LSI/3Ware controllers the battery mattered not one bit when it came to data, it was to hold the RAM cache when the power was off but not configuration, I have on many an occasion pulled disks from a dead server putting them onto another RAID card of the same type and had the card read the RAID data, several times even when I did not want it to. I have even had this experience with software RAID types including those used by Windows Dynamic Disks, ReFS and Linux Logical Volume.

From my experience all RAID's both hardware and software based write a config to the disks that are in the raid that any controller that can read and address the disks can read and reconfigure the RAID, it is simply a matter of turning it online

Thank you and schoondoggy for your input.  I did check the HPE but did not recollect seeing any errors.

I would like to possibly find someone locally that can help.  Know of anyone near Dana Point CA that participates on the forum?

schoondoggy

You can see it in Windows disk management, but you don't see it in File Explorer?

As for having someone local help you, if no one responds here, you could try Spiceworks. There is a lot of HPE knowledge there and many of the forum members are techs that work for VAR's.

Can you post a screen shot of the Disk Management screen?

g725s
Posted (edited)
On 5/31/2019 at 2:29 PM, schoondoggy said:

You can see it in Windows disk management, but you don't see it in File Explorer?

As for having someone local help you, if no one responds here, you could try Spiceworks. There is a lot of HPE knowledge there and many of the forum members are techs that work for VAR's.

Can you post a screen shot of the Disk Management screen?

Yes I see the partition in Disk Management only, not File explorer.  I will try and do that, but it might be a few weeks before I can

Edited by g725s

schoondoggy

When you go into Windows Disk Management, check the RAID volume to see if it has a drive letter assigned. I have seen cases where Windows drops the drive letter for some reason. You may just need to reassign a drive letter.

g725s

I still haven't found the time to remedy this issue I have.  The more time goes on I forget more about the system and how I set it up even 😖

In a RAID 5 setup could I just pull each drive, and attach each to a Windows 10 machine and possibly get the photos off it that way?  Would that hurt the array in any way?  Or do I need to keep the array intact? 

I need to pull this little server off the shelf in the garage and hook it up and have a look again.  At the very least there are 4 good drives in it, but I'd like to get those photos.

I don't care to save the OS.  I won't be using it, as it is way outdated.  I just want the files.

Again all Disks are good.  I just lost the ability to see or access the drive in WHS 2011 OS when I did an update 😞

The RAID is on the P410 and was setup using HP utility

My little servers info is below in my signature.

Edited by g725s