RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows Home Server - Bringing it back online

Reid Curry

I bought my WHS several years ago. I am not the most tech savvy, but was briefly able to get my pc to back up to it. We moved back in 2011 and tons of 'life' happened. I now would like to hook it back up. Also, it powers up and lights come on. I can hear at least one of my 3 drives spin. unfortunately, I cannot access it like a network drive. I think I need a client app. My current PC does not have a CD drive and I am not even sure if I still have the disk. What are my options? I am now on Windows 10. Is there a download somewhere? I have heard that there are back-up probs with Win10. Either way, I'd like to access all the family pics we saved there. Thanks!

Edited by Dave
Formatting

I removed the duplicated post you put in the 2011 section as well as removed the formatting from this post as I can see that you did a copy/paste from mediasmartserver.net forums. No worries, let's see if we can get you some help.

What is the server? Is it a MediaSmart server from HP?

Does the WHS boot?

Thanks for helping Dave. Yes it is indeed a HP MediaSmart server. I think it is a 495.  It powers up and the blue lights come on, but because it is headless, I cannot see and guarantee it has successfully booted up. I think I need client software to access the storage, correct?

I still listen to Reset now and again(busier life now), but I use to listen to you guys on the home server show all the time. I recall listening to you guys discuss the discontinuation of drive extender.  Do you know if Synology has replicated this capability?

Thanks!!

If I remember right you need to point your browser to the address of the server ie 192.128.1.5/connect which if it's working should give you the connector software download page.

I've still got mine sitting up like a statue on my desk. It's a beautiful piece of hardware for sure. Mine has the addon for monitor/keyboard/mouse in the top bay. 

Hope this helps :)

HP-EX495-2.jpg

Edited by gibster

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't it port 5000 or something like that?

Look up the IP address in your router DHCP logs and try the /connect as stated above. Or us port 5000 . Maybe?

It's been so long since I used my original Home Server software I can't really remember what the url was. .LOL And I sure don't have any logs going back that far :)