RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can you move a WHS Storage drive from one WHS to another?

SabatonFan80

I seem to recall this being discussed at some point, but I just figured I'd ask before I go ahead and do it...

I've currently got a storage drive on my existing homeserver that I'll want to transfer the files to on the new homeserver that I'll be building. Rather than running both systems simultaneously and copying/moving the files over the network, can I simply plug the storage drive from the 'old' server into the new one?

(This is WHSv1, not Vail).

I know that you can move the drives around without losing files if you go into the DE folders, I'm just wondering whether the new one would have any issues reading/importing the data?

Sort of. What you would do is pull the drive out and then put it in the new system. Then, before adding it to the pool, copy the data off of the drive to the pool. Then you can add it to the pool.

Hmm. So there's no way to have it be imported without copying?

I haven't had to do this yet (thankfully), but isn't there some way do to that if you're restoring the OS drive? Since I'm moving all the data to a new server, this is actually an option for me...

Hmm. So there's no way to have it be imported without copying?

I haven't had to do this yet (thankfully), but isn't there some way do to that if you're restoring the OS drive? Since I'm moving all the data to a new server, this is actually an option for me...

Theoretically I think that's supposed to work, but I personally wouldn't do it just in case it accidentally deleted all my data.