RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Video streaming question

mattd390

Good morning! I had a quick question for you pros! I have a WHS that I build out of a gigabyte D510 mini-ITX motherboard with 4 gigs of ram with 4 hard drives (4+ tbs). I noticed last night when I was streaming a movie to my other computer that if I unrar'd a file it would make the video on my other computer glitch while winrar was transferring the data to the pool (after it finished unraring the data). Would this be due to me using a desktop board? If I used a server board would it be able to handle more throughput? Sorry if this is a remedial question. Thanks for all the great posts, I have learned a TON from this forum! Have a great day!

If you were uploading to the server AND streaming down to another PC, you could encounter some slight stutter. The D510 is a great little dual-core board but I have seen some issues with the way it handles the NIC (under load), Blu-ray rips and some issues with MKV files. Try the same file transfer from another PC and see if you get the same stutter. You can also Remote Desktop in to the WHS and watch the loads while you try it again. 1.6Ghz seems to barely handle the HD content limit.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=43098

http://usingwindowshomeserver.com/2010/06/25/atom-windows-home-server-build-on-a-friday-night-v1-server-operating-system-and-overview-video-edition/

Tim

I would agree. The D510 is a bit under powered to handle too many tasks especially WinRar. See if it chokes using standard windows copy command and also test your network bandwidth by a large file copy (single task). Some software handles copying different and commands more resources. In the end, a server board will not help you if you are using an under powered CPU. The other thing you did not mention is what type of desktop you where using as that may have an impact on things. Thanks for the question.

Would the type of drive have an effect on this too? Say a WD Green drive?

The drive speed, interface, size and space available could always be a small factor but probably not enough to make it skip. He mentioned "pool" so I am assuming multiple drives with multiple characteristics. Skips are usually due to decoding problems, network traffic or CPU power. There is always a chance that it could be a drive issue, or even some random occurence, but I would bet it was one of the three issues I mentioned. Again, a quick thumbnail test would be to Remote Desktop to the server, watch the network and/or CPU monitor and then repeat the scenario. If it happens again at least you will be watching server resources and see where that leads you to in the investigation.

Wow, thanks for all of the great info! Here is some of the answers to yours questions. My pool is 1 1.5 tb green, 2 tb LP seagate, a 320 gb 7200rpm system drive (ide) and another 1.5 tb green when my rma gets returned lol. I don't know if I mentioned but I was unraring on the server the playing a video streaming from the server to my i7 desktop.

I used the D510 to really keep the power usage down but from what I have seen on here an i3 doesn't use a ton more and would have enough power to let me try out some virtualization stuff. Time to watch for sales at newegg on some supermicro boards :). PS, have any of you guys heard about socket 1155 socket server boards coming out? Thanks again for all the info!

Wow, thanks for all of the great info! Here is some of the answers to yours questions. My pool is 1 1.5 tb green, 2 tb LP seagate, a 320 gb 7200rpm system drive (ide) and another 1.5 tb green when my rma gets returned lol. I don't know if I mentioned but I was unraring on the server the playing a video streaming from the server to my i7 desktop.

I used the D510 to really keep the power usage down but from what I have seen on here an i3 doesn't use a ton more and would have enough power to let me try out some virtualization stuff. Time to watch for sales at newegg on some supermicro boards :). PS, have any of you guys heard about socket 1155 socket server boards coming out? Thanks again for all the info!

IDE drives are less than HALF the transfer speed of a standard SATA drive. Do not use them in any PC unless you are out of other options.

Edited by Daleo1

IDE drives are less than HALF the transfer speed of a standard SATA drive. Do not use them in any PC unless you are out of other options.

Eh? 133MB/sec isn't too shabby at all. Not much less than the 150MB/sec of SATA1 drives. Nevermind the fact that not many drives older than a year or so could hit over 100MB/sec sustained.

Eh? 133MB/sec isn't too shabby at all. Not much less than the 150MB/sec of SATA1 drives. Nevermind the fact that not many drives older than a year or so could hit over 100MB/sec sustained.

Yes, the IDE drives are shabby. Over 90% of the SATA drives sold on Newegg are the SATA II spec at 300 MB. If you “had” to buy SATA I drives a year ago then it was not from a major retailer. Even now, SATA III drives are now becoming more popular and get 600MB. These numbers are maximum data transfer dates of course, so you cannot compare 133MB theoretical from a PATA and say it is close to 100MB “sustained” on a SATA I. You would never get 133MB from a PATA as you would never get 300MB for a SATA II. The original post was talking about stutter and an IDE drive was not mentioned at that time. New board, new CPU, new pool drives, enough memory BUT a five year OLD drive. Easy to see where to start the lookin’ if you ask me.

Matt, download the ATTO Benchmark tool and try each drive out on your own to see your speeds so you can make your own decision.

http://attotech.com/products/product.php?scat=20&sku=Disk_Benchmark&PHPSESSID=5fe5b800fad11bc41e4cea87f3b0d8f7

New drives of that size (320GB) are $40 at Newegg so upgrade it when you can. Of course you could get another size drive at the same cost so shop around.

Tim

Thanks for the info Tim. I will run that util and compare the results. I wouldn't of even used an IDE drive but I was trying to save the SATA ports for larger drives. I now see the error with that decision. Thanks again for all the helpful info!