RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
psykix

A few P222 questions

flipper

well I bought a LSI SAS9211-4i and I'll use it as passthrough to a Freenas VM. Just a question, how do you know if it has to be flashed to be used as a HBA? And how do you configure it? With HP P222 you use the HP Array tool, is there such a tool for these cards ?

schoondoggy
well I bought a LSI SAS9211-4i and I'll use it as passthrough to a Freenas VM. Just a question, how do you know if it has to be flashed to be used as a HBA? And how do you configure it? With HP P222 you use the HP Array tool, is there such a tool for these cards ?
LSI has a management tool to check and update firmware. The majority of these cards come with IT firmware. Running this card as an HBA does not require any setup.

schoondoggy

Look for something close to you. Drive shelves are heavy and are expensive to ship. You will need to find one that has a SAS expander as a backplane to expand the four SAS ports on your HBA. I think some of the MSA or 3Par drive shelves may work. See what is available near you, then research the specifications. Some of the older units may only support 3Gb/s drive interface.

psykix

I think I'll just go with a Silverstone 4 bay when the time comes - it just looks neater and more compact 🙂

flipper

I received the LSI SAS9211-4i and installed it;It sees only one HDD...What is the easyest way to update firmware? I don't have any os installed for the moment on the gen8. I found this link: https://www.broadcom.com/support/knowledgebase/1211161495925/flash-upgrading-firmware-on-lsi-sas-hbas-upgraded-firmware-on-92

but how to boot on dos mode, with these files, to upgrade?

schoondoggy
6 hours ago, flipper said:

I received the LSI SAS9211-4i and installed it;It sees only one HDD...What is the easyest way to update firmware? I don't have any os installed for the moment on the gen8. I found this link: https://www.broadcom.com/support/knowledgebase/1211161495925/flash-upgrading-firmware-on-lsi-sas-hbas-upgraded-firmware-on-92

but how to boot on dos mode, with these files, to upgrade?

Have you removed and reinserted the cable to be sure it clicks firmly into place? That connection can be a bit flakey if there is side pressure on it. This is a guide on tools:

https://www.broadcom.com/support/knowledgebase/1211161501344/flashing-firmware-and-bios-on-lsi-sas-hbas

During boot can you see what firmware is running on it currently?

P18 is a good Firmware load.

There is good reading in this thread about updating cards and issues with later BIOS:

flipper

I have this version. It's in IR mode

I'll try to check the connector. 1f086152dc5c3c74a4c2f8d3d6bc4f65.jpg

schoondoggy
I have this version. It's in IR mode

I'll try to check the connector. 1f086152dc5c3c74a4c2f8d3d6bc4f65.jpg&key=6ca37361960fcc6a398d6f33667bc5253fbedb9e57eeff79b1bac31c04c8159d
You will need to load IT firmware to make it an HBA. IR may be why it is only showing one drive.

psykix
Posted (edited)

Also, 20.00.00.00 firmware has issues with missing drives.

You need 20.00.07.00

EDIT: Oh, never mind I see that is the sas2flash version you are using. You're running fw 15.00.00.00

Edited by psykix

flipper

I flashed it successfuly in 20.00.07 version in IT mode, following the guide on this link: https://nguvu.org/freenas/Convert-LSI-HBA-card-to-IT-mode/

But as I restart the gen8 to configure the card, I get a NMI error. I tried to disable the integrated SATA controller on the gen8 but I still have the issue.

Any help on this ?