RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dwain Pipe

Installing a new OS... How to access existing RAID drives?

Dwain Pipe

I'm about to move my server from Win2012R2 to Win2016.  I'm got to shut down the server, change the SSD I have in the DVD bay and using the Intel Provisioning (which I've just updated to the latest version).

I've already downloaded all the latest HPE drivers (especially the graphics and storage array drivers) and have them on a USB ready (really hoping I don't need to do anything else than plug it in).

I've already updated all the firmware to the latest via Win2012R2, so I think I'm ready to go, but....

I've got all the drive bays full with HDD's, configured into 3 RAID drives.  Two stand-alone and two paired into mirrored drives.

My question is... with the OS going on to the separate SSD, how do I keep my RAID drives?

I've had problems before when reinstalling the OS of having to recreate the RAID drives and so losing their data (which I backed up but it takes an age to restore).  I'd like to avoid the restore.

Is there a way to tell the server during Intel Provision to use/see the existing RAID drives?

When I get Win2016 installed, is there something else I need to do to get Windows to see the RAID drives?

Sorry for the newbie type question, but I've search the forum and... honestly... I don't understand the answers previously provided.

Many thanks in advance.

schoondoggy

I would review the section on moving drives, starting on page 24:

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c03326739

The last time I did this these are the steps I took:

1. Make a clean back up.

2. All drivers and firmware up to date.

3. Power off server.

4. Remove drives in front bays.

5. Install new OS on SSD, have B120i driver on USB.

6. Let OS update and become stable.

7. Shutdown server.

8. Install disk drives and power up.

9. The B120i should pick up the RAID sets during reboot. If it does not you may need to set them up manually.

10. You will need to map the drives in Windows.

Dwain Pipe

Thanks buddy, I knew you'd come up with the answer! 🙂

If I have to manually set up the RAID sets again, does that not wipe them?  I think that is what happened last time for me, which was annoying.

I'm currently copying all data from the drives to an external source so I can restore the data if needed.

schoondoggy

Setting up a single drive RAID0 usually does not wipe the data, other RAID types do.

In general, the HPE RAID controllers are good at picking up RAID sets.

Dwain Pipe

Great news, I'll give it a try when the many hours of backup copying completes.  Many thanks.

Dwain Pipe

So success, with a couple of hiccups...

I really struggled to get the server to use IP with a USB as the OS source.  I even upgraded IP to version 1.71 (the current) and then even 2.61 (which is meant for Gen 9 servers but some said it worked) but I had no joy.  I just could get IP to see the USB in any of the USB ports (front, back or internal).

In the end I chose to forget IP and create a bootable USB with the OS install media on it.  The steps I took to create that USB I found on itproguru.com:

http://itproguru.com/expert/2016/05/create-bootable-windows-server-2016-usb-thumb-drive-for-installing-os/

After that all was great and I was setting up the server, until my wife called me for lunch.  The server locked and when I tried to login I couldn't!  It's got to be something to do with US and UK keyboards and the password I set via iLO.  So now I'm starting again, but with a simple password until I get it all setup as English (UK).