RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server not seeing client runnign new Windows 1903

wigster

Hi,

I just upgraded my laptop to the latest Windows 10 1903 (18362.53) which is in release preview. The following issue may or may not be resulting from that.

My WS2012R2 Essentials server is now reporting this laptop as Offline. On the other hand the connector icon on the laptop is green, I can launch the Dashboard through it, so everything seems to be connected.

More importantly, I now cannot backup this laptop: it tries and complains that it cannot connect to the WS Essentials Client Computer Management Service. I have tried reinstalling the Connector to no avail. It used to work a couple of weeks ago, before this upgrade, but in principle it could have been some other unrelated change.

Does anyone else have a similar problem with Windows 1903? Or is it just me? Is there something I can try? 

Edited by wigster

How about re-installing the client?

I had a kind of similar thing after upgrading one of my Win10 PC's. It looked like it was working, but running a manual backup didn't work.
After uninstalling, rebooting, and re-installing the client it worked as expected.

And1903 still being a RP, this might also throw a wrench in the system...

rob

• 2 weeks later...

I tried uninstalling the Connector, rebooting and installing again.

On the reinstall, it finds the server, logs on, complains that the client already exists and then fails saying that it cannot connect to the server (which clearly a moment ago, it did).

I'm guessing it's a Win 10 1903 problem, but where can one complain about this and get noticed these days?

iirc there's an option during the re-install to keep the existing client & re-connect.
It's been a while since I did this for one of my PC's, but it shouldn't be an issue.
Also, the re-installation has the annoying habit of deleting your existing, fixed set NIC/IP settings. That might be the issue you're seeing.

If all fails, delete the old client on the server, be sure the PC connects and run a backup manually as soon as the backup client work again.

Other than that, maybe the Windows Forums are a place to look for answers. Or the Win 10 Feedback Hub app? Or hunt down the issue on Technet :(

• 1 month later...

I can confirm this is a problem.  I upgraded one of my desktops to 1903, and it's on the domain, so I can get to Shared Folders, but backups and Remote Desktop don't work, but I can run the Dashboard.

Mainstream support for 2012 versions of Windows Server ended October 9, 2018, which means that there are no more feature updates, only security updates, which end October 10, 2023.

So, it looks like a server OS upgrade is the only fix.  I'll probably roll back my 1903 upgrade to 1809, and I've changed my clients from Semi-annual channel (Targeted) to Semi-annual channel, with a 180-day delay.  I'm thinking about installing 2012 R2 Essentials on a test box, and then upgrading it to 2019, to see if an in-place upgrade will work.

Also, here's a TechNet thread on the topic, last updated on Friday (5/31):

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/044c29e5-7b0e-4241-803f-0cdcbe27db97/win-10-1903-clients-not-visible-in-ws2012r2-essentials?forum=winserveressentials

Since there's a TechNet thread, we at least know that someone at Microsoft is looking at it.

Edited by WHS_Refugee

I have three PCs updated to 1903 and immediately broke the WHS2011 client. 

To fix them, I uninstalled the client then reinstalled it again. It gave me the client already exist spiel but I just pushed through without changing anything. One final reboot and the client is back online and running backups.

The annoying thing is that the client installs parts of itself inside the Windows folder structure.
So with a large update like 1903, most of the stuff there is 'reset', or at least partially restored after the upgrade.

This has been the case since Win10 came out, and MS should finally move the whole app to a Store version, or create one that survives the 'nuke from orbit' approach that is a large update. So basically a regular app......

But in most, if not all cases, uninstall/reboot/set registry for non-domain access/reinstall with existing credentials should work. I done it to two pc's already.
It almost becomes a muscle memory thing now ;)

Edited by RobWu

perhaps uninstall prior to the upgrade? I have gone thru the dance too many times - turn off ipv6, hard code the server as the dns, don't forget to run the nojoin script at the right time, run as admin.....a pain!

hmm.. never had too many issues with it. Just the reinstall cycle and checking the NIC settings regarding IP addresses.

But I agree, it's a pain to deal with, and it could have been easily fixed by now. The downloadable .msi installer is still v1.0 from 2016!!.

If MS just help out a little bit by changing the install location and reg keys, it's a problem we don't have to deal with anymore.
How hard can it be??

Edited by RobWu