RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
flipper

Add a 6th drive, P222 or not

flipper

Hello,

I have a gen8 microserver with a SSD on the ODD port and 4 HDD (2x6To and 2x3To). What is the best solution to add a SSD into the Gen8 ? I'd like to have 2 SSD in mirror to store the Proxmox System and VMS, so I need an additional connector. Do I need a card like P22 smart array ? If yes, can I connect everything to this card without using the internal B210i car and ODD connector ?

flipper

nobody?

schoondoggy

I have not used Proxmox, so I can only give you ideas on what I have done or things you may want to consider. Do you want to run the drives as AHCI or RAID? ESXi is getting better about working with AHCI, but RAID seems to work better. With ESXi I had a P222 connected to the front four drives running RAID5 or 10 and the B120i cabled to two SSD's in a RAID1. If you want everything in the server on the same controller you could use a P420 and have four drives on one port and two on the other. If Proxmox supports AHCI you could add in a HBA and run all the drives on it. 

Some configuration questions will relate to what you are trying to achieve.

Example:

Many users decided to run ESXi on the MS Gen8 and run FreeNAS as a VM. As FreeNAS prefers to manage the drives itself the best way to configure the system was to run the VM's from SSD's on the B120i and add a HBA for the four drive bays. Then passthrough the HBA and drive directly to the FreeNAS VM.

Later versions of ESXi have gotten better at passing through individual drives.

There are many ways to configure this, but the configuration is very dependant on how you are going to use the system with Proxmox. 

flipper

thanks for your answer. I thought about all that stuff and went trough some reading. I am thinking about putting the 4 bay on the P222 ans use the 2 ssd on the B120i on port 1 and 2? Then I'll be able to run proxmox installed on the SSD on a zfs mirror. Then for storage, I'll see if I do a freenas VM or direcltly share the zfs pool on proxmox.