RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Malware affecting QNAP NAS's

Al_Borges

still trying to get out from under a situation where my QNAP has been borked

apparently  QNAP NAS'S has been subjected to MALWARE infection

https://www.qnap.com/en-us/security-advisory/nas-201902-13

I still have access to my shares but I cant access most of my apps nor update or install anything

QNAP Tech support responded  and is logged into my machine

This happened after I went ahead and installed firmware update  a week ago 

don't know if I can recover or if I would even trust this box without a full reinitialize

fortunately,  I did a full system backup before the firmware upgrade -  so I have that going for me at least

Something is fishy -  QNAP issued 3 firmware updates during March

So those running QNAP NAS's   take heed

and for you Synology users -    smile, but recheck your security processes !!!

That's not good! I do hope you get a positive outcome but I'd be tempted to wipe the unit and start afresh.

I have a Synology unit myself. With my circumstances, I'm able to leave it restricted to my internal LAN. Every time I hear something like this, I'm kinda glad that I do!

UPDATE:    The QNAP SUPPORT GUY was great and was logged on for almost an Hour Friday Night

But he couldn't get it fixed -   He told me that he was going to escalate this and get back to me this week.

Wasn't sure that even if were fixed,  I could trust it.

so after verifying that I had good backups,   I reinitialized the NAS and reformated all the data disks

Loading in the backup files now -   

The process wasn't difficult nor did it require a lot of touch time -   but a lot of downtime  ~  8 hours for building the raid and going on 12 hours to load in the data

cant help but think that someone hacked the firmware update -  it happened immediately after I installed one

The biggest challenge in security now and in the future will be moles infiltrating previously trusted spaces

again,  I am not going to install any firmware update that is newer than a month going forward,  My NAS was working fine and the "updates"  didnt add anything of value to warrant the risk.