RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

Remote outdoor camera solution

schoondoggy

Trying to help my cousin with surveillance cameras. He is a farmer and has buildings on farms where no one lives. People are  snooping around the buildings and have tried to break into locked buildings. Looking at using outdoor cameras to see vehicles driving in and monitoring locked doors. Cameras would need to be outdoor capable and could be wired (POE would be nice) or  WiFi. Good night vision would be important. Cloud based storage would be nice and alerting on motion through an app would be good as well. There is internet access available. I could put a PC in the shop, but would prefer not to.  Any  advice or recommendations would be  appreciated. 

Trig0r

Any half decent kit will cover your needs, there are cameras in the Honeywell line that have decent IR, edge storage if needed and will work over P2P, really need to know what sort of budget he has and how much area he wants to cover.

nrf

right. the trend for the camera companies is toward cloud storage (with accompanying subscription fees) and motion alerts to your phone. In fact, Zmodo is so big on this they recently sent out updates that stopped their cameras from doing rtsp or onvif. So I don't expect you will have any problem finding vendors meeting those needs!

Trig0r

You could, to keep things cheap, power a camera over PoE, do a bit of port redirection and just RTSP from the camera into the software of your choice, or with some shifting multiple cameras on site with no recorder on site to a VM/NAS running your CCTV stuff..

Need more idea of what you have and how far you want to do chap..

Dave

Are you considering an all in one solution?  This EZVIZ box would be a start.  https://amzn.to/2Dbgv6F and https://amzn.to/2IsQ3ZW

I really would like to know distances, number of out buildings etc. Sounds like a fun project.

Our old pole building was all metal so that would be treated differently than a barn that could distribute its own wifi around.

I'm thinking a Unifi https://unifi-mesh.ui.com/#products solution to get wifi out to these remote buildings and then using a POE solution or an all in one solution at the building. That's only if they are LOS or near LOS. 

If they are on the same network you could do an all Ring solution. Cloud storage for a year is $99 and the alerts are good. Can't beat solar power either. Desktop apps for Windows and Mac as well.  Some Ring options have alarms you can turn on from remote and you can chat with the offender as well.  I've had good luck with mine.

If each building had it's own internet I would have lamp modules on everything so you can power cycle them if they lock up.

More info Op!

schoondoggy

He has two remote farms. Both are old farm sites. The houses are gone but each has a stand alone garage/shop, wood construction, next the the driveway. Anyone driving or walking in has to go by the garage/shop. They seem to be looking for tools by trying to break into the shops. I think a good camera on the back corner will pickup people coming down the driveway and one by the door to catch them trying to pry off the padlock. We think this is a nighttime issue so good quality night vision will be important. Will do more research over the weekend.

schoondoggy

Both farms are about 5 miles from his house. No one lives on either farm. The garage/shops are closest to the road, about 100-150 yards. There are pole sheds with farm equipment and hay, but they don't seem to bother them.

Dave

So internet is needed at each location unless he wants to try to cover with a single camera that has a SIM slot.  A solution with lights would be nice.  If the lights come on the bad guys at least know something is going on. Deterrence helps right?

I think Arlo is struggling with their lights and camera combos as the lights are heavily discounted right now. I like that solution though.   There always seems to be a sale on Arlo too.  Woot and Amazon.  Their lights are much like the Ring solution that has lights.  Ring lights come out on April 17th, 2019. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L3H39CD/ref=fs_ods_vicc_bmsspot  The two light package is discounted.  Of course, you can do good old fashion flood lights with sensors much cheaper. The ring stuff is tied all together though.  Go to the middle of this page, Compare Ring Cameras.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q84PXDK/ref=fs_ods_vicc_Ring_SUCb?th=1  Good table to look at.

A cheaper solution could be the Blink cameras. Those will stick up anywhere and have an blinding light that you can turn on when motion is detected.  That light is so annoying! Bad guys will not like that.  I had mine out in winter time.  I mounted the indoor cameras in an outside location that was protected from moisture.  Right over our doors. They work very well.